Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Question regarding IP addresses

This is a discussion on Question regarding IP addresses within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Me and two of my friends were trying to play AoE 3 LAN in college using college wi-fi. The college

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Me and two of my friends were trying to play AoE 3 LAN in college using college wi-fi.

The college wifi assigns IP addresses to students. Now me and my first friend were able to connect to each other's games but the third friend wasn't able to do so. So we decided to use the third friend's phone as a Wifi hotspot and then we were able to connect to his game and play together. I have the following questions:

1. I was assigned an IP of 10.1.XX.XX and the third friend was assigned an IP of 10.7.XX.XX by the college Wifi. Is it mandatory for the first two numbers of the IP addresses (ie. "10.1") to be the same so that the PCs possessing said IP addresses can play together?

2. Me and my third friend tried to play using Hamachi once we reached our respective homes and I was assigned a virtual IP of 25.66.253.XXX and he was assigned 25.81.6.XXX. In this case also we were unable to connect to each other.

What could be the possible problem? Do we need to enable internet sharing when using Hamachi or trying to play on LAN without Hamachi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

The 10.7.x.x and 10.1.x.x addresses might be on different parts of the network, which would be why connecting using Internet sharing as opposed to just LAN may be required. The same would be true for when you had virtual IP addresses assigned.

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 12-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Managed to solve the virtual IP problem by reinstalling Hamachi.

The college problem may be solved using ICS on all three laptops? I'll give it a shot.

Btw, why is it that two laptops are assigned 10.1.x.x and one laptop is assigned 10.7.x.x? I suppose the only way to modify this would be to obtain a static IP address?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay Dwivedi View Post
Btw, why is it that two laptops are assigned 10.1.x.x and one laptop is assigned 10.7.x.x? I suppose the only way to modify this would be to obtain a static IP address?
This is how the IT department for the college has configured the network. To make IP address assigning easier, they divided the network into different "subnets". Whether or not you can assign one of the computers a static IP address would depend on other factors associated with how they configured the network.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 12-09-2014, 12:45 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Is it possible for my laptop to be assigned a 10.1.x.x IP address and other laptops that have a 10.7.x.x IP address to connect directly to my laptop using the "WLAN Launcher"?
Old 12-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sorry, let me rephrase my question:

My laptop is assigned an IP address of 10.1.x.x
My friend's laptop is assigned an IP of 10.7.x.x

Is it possible for me to use a software called "WLAN Launcher" (WLAN Launcher Free Download, Software, virtual wireless, wi-fi hotspotnewtecharticles.com – Technology News, Best Apps, Gadgets, Internet and Security Tips) so that his laptop can connect to my laptop's network? Or is there any other means by which two laptops having different subnets can play together?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

That software might work. Both computers would need to disconnect from the college's Wifi network. The virtual wireless network should bypass the need to do configuration with the IP address assigned by the college.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The host computer would still be required to connect to the college Wi-fi right?
Old 12-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Yes, since the host needs to have some connection to an Internet service provider.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

We tried the WLAN method and although we are able to play, the game is very laggy and the ping/latency on CS 1.6 is quite high at times. Is this to be expected?
Old 12-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

It may be that the wireless range for that network may be limited, which would lead to more lag. Or, there could be a lot of wireless interference between the devices.

Closed Thread