Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Problems with hosting server

This is a discussion on Problems with hosting server within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been dealing with this problem for months and have finally come to ask here about it. I'm able to

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been dealing with this problem for months and have finally come to ask here about it. I'm able to access my routers settings and set up the ports i need, but when i attempt to host myself and anyone else are unable to join. i have checked my IPv4 address and made sure that everything is correct, i even set up inbound rules in my firewall for the server, no luck. Please if there is anything i can do to fix this let me know. Refer to the picture for more detail
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My trouble with portforwarding.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	170314  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF!

Let's see if the ports are actually forwarded correctly. Download and install the PF Port checker to check the status of the ports you forwarded in the router.
Also, if you are using a separate modem and router, what is the make and model of the modem?

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 04-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes i have port forward checker and its able to ping my router, but shows a closed port, if thats what you were asking. I am using a Cisco router model dpc2100r2. I am using a belkin router but i belive thats not the source of the problem because i've switched routers to no avail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

That cisco device is your modem. The Belkin device is I assume the router (you haven't put a model).

Just because you have changed devices doesn't mean you have correctly configured either of them. You seem to want to focus on your windows firewall but it is far more likely your router is the device that is not correctly configured.

It pays to heed the advice you have been given BEFORE moving forward. @Jason09 has advised you to use port checker, which you seem to have done as you go on to say it shows a closed port...? but still don't wish to explore this avenue as the possible cause of your issue...Odd.

Your windows firewall looks fine. You could turn on blocking on that port and get windows firewall to notify you of blocked incoming connections (which I doubt it will for this port) but verify you router is not forwarding as it should; which is where I suspect your issue lies.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

my model for my Belkin router is F9K1102v3, i hope that helps.

i'll take heed to your advice and focus on the subject of my router and port forwarding, it seems that i'm forwarding through my router correctly, i may be wrong? I'm entering the last digit of my IPv4 address into the servers setup.

On the subject of the Port forward checker, it seems able to ping my router, but as before i cannot detect an open port, suggesting that my connection is not setup properly.

I'm unsure of my problem, and you are right about me not having a good plan, i hardly have any plan.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #6
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

It's possible that your modem may be functioning as a router, which would mean port forwarding would need to be done there. On the status page of your Belkin router, you should see a LAN IP address and an Internet/public/WAN address listed. For the Internet/public/WAN (whichever term your router uses) IP address, does that address match the address shown at What Is My IP | The IP Address Experts Since 1999?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 04-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

Under internet settings, my ip address matches the ip at the given website.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 AM   #8
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Ok, that means your modem should not be an issue.
Are you using a static IP address for your computer? If not, have you checked to make sure the address has not changed?

Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
Registered Member

My ip address is dynamic, and i change my router setup whenever it changes, but i still cant connect
Old 04-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #10
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Have you tried putting your computer in a DMZ on the router?

Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
Registered Member

sorry about the delay, my freind figured out the problem. It was an issue with McAfee, i've figured out the solution. Thank you all for your help.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #12
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Glad to hear you got the problem fixed. You can mark the thread Solved by clicking the Mark this Thread as Solved option under Thread Tools at the top of the thread.

Closed Thread