Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Problem with internet ONLY when sisters home

This is a discussion on Problem with internet ONLY when sisters home within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok so heres the deal, I'm a pretty heavy internet user, I play a lot of games, stream a lot

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok so heres the deal,
I'm a pretty heavy internet user, I play a lot of games, stream a lot of shows and generally like to voice chat and stuff like that. I currently have ADSL2+ where I live, however I'm very far away from the exchange. This is my download speed on a good day: Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

This is enough to download games over night while I sleep, and play pretty much every game on a steady ping of 30-60. It's also enough to watch 480p videos which is enough for me. However, whenever my sister is home on her macbook, the speeds go downhill real fast for me only. My ping goes up to 400-500 in most games, my download speed can lower to 50-100 kb/s and my upload can be at 10 kb/s if I'm lucky. This pretty much halts my internet usage... I've emailed my internet provider multiple times over the past 2 or so months, and no response. I have a AC1900 Nighthawk VDSL/ADSL Modem Router, and have put my computer on high priority in the NetGear genie app, while putting her laptop on the lowest priority. That has unfortunately not done much, nothing noticeable for both of us anyway. If anyone has a solution, or needs any questions answered, please respond.
Thanks, Valdez.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #2
Visiting Expert
Microsoft Support Team
BSOD Analyst

This is generally what happens when multiple people get on the same network. It happens to me when I try and play xbox, and my wife is watching hulu in the other room, and I may even have a download going on my laptop. Internet will slow down with more usage of it going on at once.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

But it only happens on my sisters laptop. I could have a download happening, youtube running and only have maybe 300 or so ping, but as soon as my sister goes on something small as facebook, it rises heaps. She also seems to have a better connection than me, being able to watch youtube at 720p60fps. Then if I go on my mums pc, and watch youtube or something just to test, it doesnt effect my pc at all. I've looked around my sisters mac (with her permission) and nothing seems out of the ordinary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 12:04 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to jimscreechy

She must have some program running possibly in the background that is using up bandwidth.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

My son's computer did the same thing. In his case he has a lot of things set to auto-update and they all run at different times. Had to go through and set them to run after midnight, which made it so everyone could use internet with same speed during the day.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscreechy View Post
She must have some program running possibly in the background that is using up bandwidth.
I'd agree, however she leaves her laptop home alot, and that doesn't effect me at all when she's gone. It's only when shes on facebook or youtube or something similar.
A bit weird if you ask me...
Closed Thread