Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Port Forwarding a PC when receiving internet from a Mac?

This is a discussion on Port Forwarding a PC when receiving internet from a Mac? within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I hope that I'm posting this in the right area. I've been trying to set up my own server

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello! I hope that I'm posting this in the right area.
I've been trying to set up my own server for various games ever since I bought my desktop. I've followed various tutorials to the letter, but I've never been able to get one up and running. I've been wondering if it's because of how I receive internet. Previously, I had a Mac Mini, which receives internet wirelessly. I didn't want to buy a wireless card for my new computer, so I set up my Mac to communicate with my PC via ethernet cable so that I can use my PC to connect to the internet. It's fully functional and I've never had any problems since I set it up, except for when I want to port forward.
My setup is something like this:
Verizon FiOS <-> Actiontec M1424WR Router <-> Mac Mini <-> Windows 7 PC

I allowed the application (currently Terraria) to have access through Windows Firewall (I don't have any other firewalls installed). Mcafee Security Scan Plus is on my computer, but my computer was shipped with it installed and it never does anything besides tell me that it doesn't protect me while I browse the internet. I have Spybot installed too, but I haven't found any firewall settings on it, so I don't think it acts as one, but I could be wrong.

Using my PC, I type my IP address into the address bar, then log into my Verizon router, and create a new port-forwarding rule for my Mac to the port I need.
I don't see my PC on the list, but that's probably because it doesn't actually communicate with the internet, it tells my Mac what to do, then the Mac communicates with the internet, then sends it back to my computer.
At least, that's my understanding of it! I could be wrong.

I did ipconfig/all on my PC:
IPconfig.txt

Is there any other information you need?
I'm just confused because I don't know if my setup even allows for me to host a server. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it, but I'm not an expert on these kinds of things.
What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

Hi and welcome to TSF!

Have you tried seeing if the router will allow you to enter the PC's IP address into the port entry? While I do believe port forwarding can be done with your setup, it is not as simple as with a standard connection to the router.

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Old 07-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

I manually put in my computer's IPV4 address that I find when i do ipconfig and port it through port 7777 using both TCP and UDP, but canyouseeme.org still tells me that the connection times out.
I can't port both the PC and the Mac through 7777 at the same time, so I'm at a loss as to what I should do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Games Team | Tech
Networking Team-Tech

My System

I would use the PF Port checker to check the ports, as other websites are often unable to correctly read the port unless the application using the ports is running.
Also, check to see if the IP address listed at this website is the same for both the PC and the Mac. What Is My IP | Shows Your IP Address.

Gaming troubleshooting steps.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. -Jim Elliot
Closed Thread