Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Persistent Lag Spikes in PC Games

This is a discussion on Persistent Lag Spikes in PC Games within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, this has been happening for quite a while now. Every online game I play (Team Fortress 2, Portal 2,

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, this has been happening for quite a while now. Every online game I play (Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, etc.) will have frequent lag spikes every 30 seconds or so. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse. Basically, all motion ceases for 2-5 seconds, and after that everything will jump to a new location which can be very frustrating. What's interesting is that on Xbox Live I get almost no lag, yet it has a worse connection than my Desktop.

I've ran a ping tester, and noticed that there are times when the requests time out; probably the lag spikes. Here's two pictures:

https://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3319/pingtester2.png
https://img815.imageshack.us/img815/6025/pingtesterq.png

Also notice how there's two IP Addresses to choose from... what's up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Hey mate, Welcome to TSF,

Can you visit both

https://pingtest.net
&
https://speedtest.net

And reply with the results from both tests.

Thanks,
Redeye
Old 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sure, here are the results:

That...is strange. Usually I get much higher download speeds (~15mpbs) and much lower pings. (~30)

When the lag spikes aren't occurring, there is very little lag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Well, the download speed you have now is higher then I get when it's fast for me :P

You do have a lot of Jitter which indicates that is the issue I think.

Try contacting your ISP and explain that Jitter on your Internet line is causing an unplayable Internet gaming experience and see if they can help.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye3323 View Post
Well, the download speed you have now is higher then I get when it's fast for me :P

You do have a lot of Jitter which indicates that is the issue I think.

Try contacting your ISP and explain that Jitter on your Internet line is causing an unplayable Internet gaming experience and see if they can help.
Alright, I'll give them a call. What is Jitter, though?
Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
-Articles Team
-Games Team

My System

Jitter basically measures the fluctuations in your ping.

A high Jitter will mean that your ping will change a lot which could display as lag spike in Gaming.

It is probably more technical than that but that is about as far as we will go into it regarding your question xD
Closed Thread