Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Online Ping Issue

This is a discussion on Online Ping Issue within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone. I built a new computer back in August and I started playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 whenever I

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hey everyone. I built a new computer back in August and I started playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 whenever I had some free time. In the beginning, everything ran great. I also played several other online games and had very few complaints. However, over the past few months, I have been having horrible connection issues. Occasionally, I would find a night where I did not have the problem, but I cannot even do that recently.

My problem is that I can find and ping servers with decent results, but as soon as I join the server, my ping skyrockets and, in some cases, it almost seems like my bandwidth has been drained. To elaborate on this, I decided to get creative one day. I opened up my command window and started pinging a Counter-Strike: Source server that I play on at times. I should note that I use the -t command so I can continuously ping throughout the whole process. When I start pinging, I usually get times ranging from 80-110ms. I know this is not great, but for my internet connection, this is really good.

I then join the server and tab to the command window. Now, I should note that this next part usually happens immediately, but occasionally I can play for several minutes before it starts. What happens is that my ping in game continues to rise until it reaches the maximum displayable ping. When I look at the command window, I can see where the time rises into the thousands and then times out after that. My ping will stay like this and will not lower by as much as a millisecond.

When I exit the game, it takes a few minutes before I can ping the server like normal again. Additionally, it seems to affect the rest of my internet usage on my gaming computer. For example, just a minute ago, I exited the game and tried surfing this forum. My desktop was taking forever to bring up pages but my MacBook Pro was opening pages as if I had my full bandwidth.

I ran a virus test with AVG Free 2011 and a test with Malwarebytes and I got nothing. I even tried uninstalling these programs and turning off my firewall to see if one of them was the culprit, but this proved futile.

I am hoping that somebody here will hold the key to me solving this issue without having to reformat.

Oh, and since you seem to ask for this in other threads, I have taken the liberty of running a speed test and a ping test. The results are as follows:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

I seem to have solved my problem. It appears that it was caused by me connecting to my router wirelessly, as I have not had the issue since I plugged in my LAN cable. However, I am not sure why my wireless would have suddenly stopped working.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Hey mate,

It could be anything such as interference from another signal, cross-talk, a weak wifi signal or your PC is just too far from the router.

Ethernet cables hold signal strength much better so I'd stick with the new setup.

Cheers,
Redeye
Closed Thread