Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Nintendo Wifi - Can't connect to other players

This is a discussion on Nintendo Wifi - Can't connect to other players within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had this problem for years and i just hope someone can help me to fix this problem. Those guys

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
XTR
Registered Member

Cry

I had this problem for years and i just hope someone can help me to fix this problem. Those guys at nintendo hotline & my internet provider don't have the knowledge about this.

I can connect to nintendo wi-fi but most of the time unable to connect to other players. I'm just using a wireless router (which is also my modem), with a good connection. (dsl connection). The brand is a "SIEMENS Gigaset SX551 WLAN dsl".

According to nintendo this problem is caused by a firewall, blocking the connection. Now i have tried tons of things and reseached alot on the internet and still no succes.

There is nothing wrong with my Wii, because the same thing happens on my DS. I think the cause is somewere with my router/modem.

This is what i have done:
Latest firmware downloaded
UPnP is on
Disabled all firewalls (Windows, router & McAfee)
Set the Wii on a static IP
Set the transmission mode on IEEE 802.11 B/G Mixed (appently nintendo wi-fi is not supported by on G only)
MAC adress filter is off
Dynamic DNS is off
Put Wii's Static IP & MAC adress in "DHCP clients"
Put Wii's Static IP as Exposed host.
Opened ports at "port forwarding" UDP&TCP 1 till 65535. ( Also specificly according to nintendo 29900, 28910, 29901, 29920, 80, 443 all on TCP)

Sources:
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc...eToConnect.jsp
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc...i&locale=en_US
https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...neFirewall.jsp

The only weird thing is, everytime if i connect to nintendo wi-fi, it doesn't appear in my "network" on the computer. On my modem/router, there is a second client but i don't see the Static IP adress of the Wii. I Don't know if the Wii should be visable in your network.

I wanted to try nintendo wifi USB connector, but apperantly nintendo stopped making them.

As an alternative i'm thinking buying a USB dongle and make it as an acces point from my PC. I just hope this will solve my problem.

So if you know what the cause is of my problem or any alternatives as a solution, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Those modems work terribly with gaming as I recall. It's just been so long that I can't remember the ins and outs to fix it!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #3
XTR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus View Post
Those modems work terribly with gaming as I recall. It's just been so long that I can't remember the ins and outs to fix it!
Great...i knew the modem was the cause.

Do you think that i could solve my problem by creating acces point on my PC? So that i will get wifi from my computer instead directly from my modem. Or would this not make a difference at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

You'd be complicating it further to be honest. My recommendation is to contact your ISP and ask for a modem downgrade. Then install a router.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
XTR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus View Post
You'd be complicating it further to be honest. My recommendation is to contact your ISP and ask for a modem downgrade. Then install a router.
Yeah i asked a other router, but they refuse to give me one. Only options is to change my ISP.

But today after some tweaking with the router, i may have accidently solved my problem. I changed the Primary and Secondary DNS to 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220 on the Wii. When I googled for something, I found the site "OpenDSN".

I do not know what DSN exactly is, but somehow this was the cause...i think? Hopefully it stays this way.

One final question, is there any risks now that I changed the DSN on my wii?
Closed Thread