Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

** NEWBIE & Need Help!! **

This is a discussion on ** NEWBIE & Need Help!! ** within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I'm a gamer. I have 2 ps3's.. 2 iPad's.. 1 iPod.. & 1 laptop.. My question is, what's the

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

So I'm a gamer. I have 2 ps3's.. 2 iPad's.. 1 iPod.. & 1 laptop.. My question is, what's the BEST router to have for Multiple Gaming Systems?! We LAG so bad when it's Double XP Weekend, or when it's the both of us in a party and one other person with different Internet and NAT Type.. I'm so done being aggravated with my net provider and router!! I thought I had a good router!! Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual Band N+ Router.. PLEASE HELP!! THANK YOU!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Belkin isn't a great brand, but that router shouldn't be causing any lag issues.

Some more information will be needed. What ISP are you with, and what's the speed of the connection that you're paying for?

Quote:
We LAG so bad when it's Double XP Weekend, or when it's the both of us in a party and one other person with different Internet and NAT Type

Could you elaborate on that? It's not really clear what's going on. Is this only happening with one game? If so, which game is it? When exactly does this happen? How many devices are connected at once when this happens, and how are they connected?

Do you have any such issues when you're not gaming?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TeenScripts
Also does this happen on all your devices or just a few of them.

And are your devices all connected fairly close to the Wireless Router?

Quote:
Belkin isn't a good brand
It has its problems but I think it's a good brand in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member

CubicleCowboy.. I have Clearwire 4g.. It's on the PlayStation 3.. On Call of Duty Black Ops 2.. Well that's the game I'm currently playing.. But it's all COD Games.. When we join a party.. It usually kicks me and my bff out of the lobby.. Or delays or loading screen.. What I meant is that we lag more when there is a lot of people on at once.. Like this weekend it's Double XP Points.. So it makes it hard for me or my bff to be the HOST of a Party.. Certain internets are compatible.. And won't boot us.. When this happens it's just 2 PlayStation 3's.. I think I have my connection set up wrong on the router.. Idk how to set my 5ghz to be for the PlayStation.. And 2.5ghz for iPad and laptop.. Everything is connected Via Wi-Fi..

TeenScripts.. It happens to my iPad's often too.. The router is in the living room..and my bedrooms like right there.. It takes me 70-80 Minutes to do an update for my Game on the PlayStation.. But my bff is in the living room and it downloads in 5-7 mins..

I hope that helps.. Thank you for your replies!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Hello.. So.. I need help changing my router's settings.. I can not get my ps3 to find the 5ghz signal.. Only the 2.5ghz signal.. I don't want to mess something up.. Please help.. I have multiple Wireless devices with my router.. My ISP is Clearwire.. & my router is Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual Band N+.. Can anyone help.. Please.. Thank You in advance!!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer.Princess View Post
CubicleCowboy.. I have Clearwire 4g.. It's on the PlayStation 3.. On Call of Duty Black Ops 2.. Well that's the game I'm currently playing.. But it's all COD Games.. When we join a party.. It usually kicks me and my bff out of the lobby.. Or delays or loading screen.. What I meant is that we lag more when there is a lot of people on at once.. Like this weekend it's Double XP Points.. So it makes it hard for me or my bff to be the HOST of a Party.. Certain internets are compatible.. And won't boot us.. When this happens it's just 2 PlayStation 3's.. I think I have my connection set up wrong on the router.. Idk how to set my 5ghz to be for the PlayStation.. And 2.5ghz for iPad and laptop.. Everything is connected Via Wi-Fi..
It's possible that that you might just not have enough bandwidth. 4G already isn't a whole lot for gaming - it might be doable, but Clearwire isn't as fast as most other ISPs and you're also sharing the connection. That's my first thought. Has this always been an issue ever since you signed on with Clearwire?

It's possible that it might just be a wireless interference issue since you mentioned that your friend's PS3 is closer to the router and gets better download speeds. Do you have any ethernet cables handy? If you do, try connecting your PS3 directly one of the router's LAN ports with a cable. Wired connections are always better than wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer.Princess View Post
Hello.. So.. I need help changing my router's settings.. I can not get my ps3 to find the 5ghz signal.. Only the 2.5ghz signal.. I don't want to mess something up.. Please help.. I have multiple Wireless devices with my router.. My ISP is Clearwire.. & my router is Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual Band N+.. Can anyone help.. Please.. Thank You in advance!!
Unfortunately, the PS3 does not have wireless N support, which is what you'd need to connect to the 5 GHz band. N-speed still isn't a guarantee, but it's the minimum requirement. The PS3's wireless adapter only supports B/G speed, which is limited to the 2.4 GHz band. One way to get around it is to get a wireless-N access point that has 5 GHz access and ethernet ports; you connect your PS3 to the access point through an ethernet cable, and the access point connects to the router wirelessly. However, this might be too expensive and too much of a pain to be worth it. It would be easier and cheaper just to run a cable from your PS3 to the router.
Closed Thread