Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Network Bandwith Question

This is a discussion on Network Bandwith Question within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm trying to stream my Xbox one to my desktop or laptop. There is a lot of lag when streaming

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 05:51 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I'm trying to stream my Xbox one to my desktop or laptop. There is a lot of lag when streaming to the point where its unplayable. How can I increase my bandwith?

Here's my setup:
Xfinity 100mpbs plan
Netgear R6300v2 router
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

some additional info:
XBOX one is hardwired to my router
PC / Laptop is wireless
router is roughly 10-15ft away
I tested this in the AM when there was no streaming of netflix so I can only imagine how worse it'll be when netflix is streaming from my kids.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I'm not familiar with that process, but two thoughts.

Streaming to view wouldn't be an issue, but streaming to "play" (ie: playing from the desktop), I would expect the latency to be to high to even be playable, much less enjoyable.

I can't imagine a huge amount of bandwidth is needed just to stream (ie: view). As noted above, latency will be high. If there is a bandwidth issue, I would expect it to be a wifi issue. Test using an ethernet connection. If the problem persists over ethernet, it's likely not bandwidth related.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Hi,
You seem to have an AC router, so the question is what Wi-Fi chip/adapters are in your laptop or desktop PC? If they are older computers; they might only have 802.11n or 802.11g. Depending on the computer's/laptop's setups, they might only be giving you 50-60 Mbps tops on your Wi-Fi connection. I might suggest:
(1.) Connect your PC/laptop DIRECTLY to the router with a Cat6 Ethernet cable. This will boost the speed of the signal from the router to the computer/laptop IMMEDIATELY to 100Mpbs; a significant increase from using improper or outdated Wi-Fi.
(2.) Replace the built-in Wi-Fi on the PC/Laptop by purchasing an external usb plug-in Wi-Fi adapter that also has 802.11ac, the same as your existing Netgear router, such as : https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/NE...0/3191304.aspx
For $31.45 US, it can give you Wi-Fi speeds of 150/433Mbps with your existing AC router; and being dual-band, you can connect your Wi-Fi computer/laptop on the 5Ghz band, and avoid any/all other mobile devices in your home from family members most of who are probably using the slower 2.4Ghz band-reserving bandwidth for your Xbox streaming.

Best,
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>
Old 08-25-2017, 07:44 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Read through this: https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...windows-10-pc/

Old 08-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Idea

2 very good articles here. The sections on network performance enhancements using either wired Ethernet on the same router and the 5GHz versus 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks mirrors what I said in my post. The 2nd linked article talks about Mesh-Networking using your home's existing AC power wiring or Coax-Cabling is very interesting. I haven't done anything with these as they are fairly new, but certainly interesting. Tech companies have been putting out Wi-Fi products using house AC wiring for years, not many people I know are using this. But, it might be worth investing in if ugly cabling is going to drive your spouse to evict you from your home, and Wi-Fi is the only other option, especially if you have a larger home (>3,000 sq.ft.) and possibly multi-story as well.

<<BBJ>>
Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEARJEDI View Post
Hi,
You seem to have an AC router, so the question is what Wi-Fi chip/adapters are in your laptop or desktop PC? If they are older computers; they might only have 802.11n or 802.11g. Depending on the computer's/laptop's setups, they might only be giving you 50-60 Mbps tops on your Wi-Fi connection. I might suggest:
(1.) Connect your PC/laptop DIRECTLY to the router with a Cat6 Ethernet cable. This will boost the speed of the signal from the router to the computer/laptop IMMEDIATELY to 100Mpbs; a significant increase from using improper or outdated Wi-Fi.
(2.) Replace the built-in Wi-Fi on the PC/Laptop by purchasing an external usb plug-in Wi-Fi adapter that also has 802.11ac, the same as your existing Netgear router, such as : https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/NE...0/3191304.aspx
For $31.45 US, it can give you Wi-Fi speeds of 150/433Mbps with your existing AC router; and being dual-band, you can connect your Wi-Fi computer/laptop on the 5Ghz band, and avoid any/all other mobile devices in your home from family members most of who are probably using the slower 2.4Ghz band-reserving bandwidth for your Xbox streaming.

Best,
<<BIGBEARJEDI>>
1) Unfortunately hard-wiring my desktop isn't possible because of placement. I would definitely do that if it was possible.
2) This is the adapter that I'm using and looks similar in the example you provided.
EDIMAX - Wireless Adapters - AC600 Dual-Band - AC600 Wireless Dual-Band Mini USB Adapter

Anything in my home that can be connected to the 5ghz band is connected to that band (tablets, phones, laptops, TV's, etc.). Everything else is on the 2.5ghz band.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

After reading that article, the powerline adapters suggestion seems like a cheaper alternative. So since my xbox one is already hardwired to my router, would I be able to hardwire the powerline adapter to my router, then hardwire my desktop to a powerline adapter in my office?
Old 08-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I understand. Yes, I believe you could do that. Xbox hardwired to router, and the powerline adapter also hardwired to the router. The 2nd powerline adapter in your office will grab your Xbox signal for the contoller just as if you had it plugged into the same router with a hardwired Ethernet cable and should work. The only differences with this setup are the fact that you are using IN-THE-WALL WIRING existing AC WIRING,to transmit the Ethernet signal instead of outside-the-WALL wiring, such as Cat5/6e network cable. And you would be using a hardwired LAN connection versus a Wi-Fi radio which is subject to many kinds of radio interference issues such as heavy-pull appliances such as washing machines, dryers, microwave ovens, electric power tools such as skilsaws, circular,saws, lawn trimmers, etc.

Let us know how it works for you should you be brave enough to attempt it.

Best of luck to you,
<<BBJ>>
Closed Thread