Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Internet not working for games

This is a discussion on Internet not working for games within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My net works fine for browsing normal webpages, but when it comes to trying to play games online it gets

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

My net works fine for browsing normal webpages, but when it comes to trying to play games online it gets all rubber band-y and laggy. My ping is fine, but it's still not working.

I did a speedtest, and the speeds are at there advertised, but its obviously not working that well, 'cause the download speed is fluctuating so much and is really low most of the time in the picture (and every other time i take the speedtest)

https://i.imgur.com/y2TyD3I.jpg

Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Your internet speeds are not powerful enough for fast online gaming. A minimum of modern games require around 10mb/s download and 2mb/s upload.

Have you contacted your ISP about getting faster speeds?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have the fastest speed available, and i'm sorry but that's just not true. With these same speeds (with the internet working optimally and without its current problems) I can play FPS games smoothly online from 20-80 ping depending on the server, no problems whatsoever.

Also, "ONLINE CONNECTION REQUIREMENTS: 512kbps down and 384kbps up or faster Internet connection" that's from the Titanfall website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

You just stated that you have having lag while playing online. Yet now you say there are no issues?

If you believe its internet contact your ISP and ask them to reset your connection.

IMO your speeds are not high enough for fast online gaming. If that is the maximum speeds offered you may want to look at other providers who offer much more for less.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
You just stated that you have having lag while playing online. Yet now you say there are no issues?

If you believe its internet contact your ISP and ask them to reset your connection.

IMO your speeds are not high enough for fast online gaming. If that is the maximum speeds offered you may want to look at other providers who offer much more for less.
No, I meant there's no issues with the speed when the internet is actually working. And I know my speeds are high enough, I've played Battlefield 4 online with my internet before and it ran perfectly. It's just that right now, it's not working.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Actually, the bandwidth required by many online games can be met with a solid dial-up connections. In this I'm thinking it may be an intermittent latency issue. Visit Pingtest.net - The Global Broadband Quality Test and run a line check there.
Closed Thread