Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Extreme Packet Loss on College Network - Xbox works fine.

This is a discussion on Extreme Packet Loss on College Network - Xbox works fine. within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, I am new to the forums here and was really hoping someone could help me out. First things

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I am new to the forums here and was really hoping someone could help me out.

First things first. I am living at a small private college. The wireless network here uses OpenDNS for security. I am not sure if that is causing the problem, but the network has extreme packet loss. When I run pingtest.net I get an average of about 36%.
I was hoping to be able to play Battlefield 3 when It comes out tomorrow but the packet loss makes any online game unplayable. I was ready to give up but when my roommate connected his Xbox 360 to the network the online plays completely fine with almost zero skipping or "time warping." It is connected over the same wireless network using the Microsoft wireless adapter.
So now I am wondering if there is anything I can do on my computer to get rid of the packet loss. Why does the Xbox have perfect connection, but my pc cannot even play the simplest online game?

Thanks for your time everyone. Have a good day - yfzrider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Duplicate Post and already being assisted in Networking Support.

Closed.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Rootkit problem: hidden boot sector.
Dearest Techies: I have Windows 7 Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron N7010 Notebook. A few days ago the computer would not start and took me to the windows 7 startup repair utility, and it was unsuccessful in repairing the problem. I ended up having to restore the system to factory settings to get...
Raygumm Resolved HJT Threads 60 07-03-2011 09:07 PM
Baffled by Xbox network connectivity
Earlier today I was happily connected to Xbox Live when I was spontaneously disconnected. Network tests on the Xbox are halted at the first step, network testing. After the test fails, the Xbox says it "can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem..." I've gone through about every solution...
shwoogin Console Gaming Support 7 04-27-2011 12:47 PM
[SOLVED] Cant connect windows 7 to Xbox 360 with a network cable....PLEASE HELP!!!
I have a windows xp laptop which i connect the network cable in to the laptop and xbox and it works perfectly. When i try to plug in the network cable into my new laptop with windows 7 it reads it as a secondary network and deems it a public network. I want my laptop to catch the wifi i get and...
Random26 Console Gaming Support 7 02-27-2011 12:11 PM
NAT Issues - XBox and PS3
Hi All, One of the most common questions regarding Xbox Live and the 360/Original Xbox relates to NAT, people either have a strict or moderate NAT setting which doesn't make for the best playing experience, or they have Open but have "over configured" their router meaning it still doesn't work...
GMAN990 Console Gaming Support 1 02-07-2011 03:22 PM
Intermittently can't connect to local network (Internet works fine)
I have a problem that has been causing me to pull my hair out. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before I go completely bald. Summary: I am having intermittent 1-2 minute-long losses of local network connectivity on 2 Windows XP machines. During the outage, Internet connectivity is...
jkounis Networking Support 2 01-06-2011 03:35 PM