Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Connection Problems

This is a discussion on Connection Problems within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ello everyone. I'm here because of a connection problem I've been having with many games. Whenever I try to play/connect

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Ello everyone. I'm here because of a connection problem I've been having with many games. Whenever I try to play/connect to any online multiplayer game, it doesn't connect and let me join the server. So I need some help with this, I'll post the current details that I'm aware of:

About 2 weeks ago, I was playing an online game, took a break, came back about an hour later to find it would not connect

This problem is device wide, and no games will connect on computers, kindles, laptops, etc in the household

I know for a fact it is not a firewall problem

I have Windows XP for computers and laptops.

The problem just started to occur at random, I don't think I did anything to trigger it

I can still watch videos (youtube) and go to certain websites

If any more information is needed, just ask. All and any advice would be appreciated. I really want to start gaming again. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

It's either a router or ISP issue. I'd start with your ISP and see if they are blocking any ports.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Alright, i'll look into the ISP, but can you be more specific about the router itself. I've tried turning it on and back on, that didn't work. Maybe explain something else I can do to check with the router?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Could try a factory reset on the router. Sounds like a setting was changed.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Actually, I think I may have found the problem. After checking, it seems like I have some certain ports closed, but don't know how to open them. Is there anyway to open ports through command prompt, or no? (Also, whats the command to check open ports using cmd?)
Old 03-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Ports should not be blocked by default, so I'd recommend at least resetting the router as somebody or something made those changes.
Closed Thread