Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

Black Ops 3 says NAT Type is Moderate

This is a discussion on Black Ops 3 says NAT Type is Moderate within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've tried forwarding the necessary ports as well as enabling DMZ towards my PC but BO3 still says that NAT

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I've tried forwarding the necessary ports as well as enabling DMZ towards my PC but BO3 still says that NAT type is "Moderate". I'm connected directly to the modem. I don't have issues on other online multiplayer games like Battlefield 4 and get reasonable latencies as well.

On the BO3 settings screen, when I hover my mouse over "NAT Type: Moderate", it says that the game tried to use port 3074 UDP even though I've forwarded that port.

My router is D-Link DIR-600M.

EDIT: And yes, I have tried restarting the router, PC and game but that didn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

What are these "issues" that you are experiencing with online multiplayer games?
Old 05-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
What are these "issues" that you are experiencing with online multiplayer games?
I don't have issues on other online multiplayer games like Battlefield 4 and get reasonable latencies as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

So then what is the problem? Just because your NAT says something different then what you want it to? An OPEN NAT is not really recommended or safe.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
So then what is the problem? Just because your NAT says something different then what you want it to? An OPEN NAT is not really recommended or safe.
The problem is that it is recommended to have open NAT for Call of Duty for better matchmaking and improved latency and I do not have an open NAT.

Another question I have is: Why do port checking websites and programs say that ports are closed even though I've used my router's Virtual server page to forward them? Why are they said to be closed even when I've enabled DMZ to my PC's IP address?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:36 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
I spoke to D-Link and they're saying that the IP address shown on my router page is not the same as my public IP address. So they're saying this is a case of Double Natting and this is why none of my forwarded port are showing as open. Do I have to contact my ISP or is there some other way to overcome this issue?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 AM   #7
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

There is a risk of having an open NAT and I recommend you keep it where it is.

As for the ISP, you can certainly ask them to see if they are blocking any ports on your line.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
There is a risk of having an open NAT and I recommend you keep it where it is.

As for the ISP, you can certainly ask them to see if they are blocking any ports on your line.
Alright, I'll keep the NAT as it is.

Another thing I noticed is that I'm getting latencies of around 150+ and at times 200 on Black Ops 3. Since it's based on matchmaking and P2P connections, there's no server browser like Battlefield 4. But is there anything I can do to improve my latency? I lag on GTA which also uses a P2P connection framework.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:41 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

This could be due to your location. I'd ask your ISP to make sure you have a stable connection.
Closed Thread