Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Online/Network Gaming Support

User Tag List

A novice question on in-house networking

This is a discussion on A novice question on in-house networking within the Online/Network Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My stepkids are trying to get me to play "Minecraft." Although I am not overly excited, I would like to

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

My stepkids are trying to get me to play "Minecraft." Although I am not overly excited, I would like to be able to do something with them as most of the time they are plugged into their computers and we have little interaction time.

I digress, the problem I am having is that they are trying to "open the game to Lan" but we cannot locate the game on the other computers. I have a Windows 7 PC, and they both have HP laptops. Everyone is connected to the internet but I do not know how to ensure that the computers all "talk" to each other.

Any help would be appreciated!

Respectfully,

Jloushe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Setup and install the minecraft LAN server.
How to set up a LAN Server Minecraft Blog

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

I need to thank you for that info as the boys are always asking to set up a server but never got it right. But I was talking about a private game that they have already created. Apparently if you have a private game and you "Open it to Lan" anyone that is on your private network should be able to "see" and join the game. We have done this in the past (with computers they have since destroyed), but they got the laptops for xmas and we have not been able to do this with them. I am only asking this because they apparently have "Awesome" games that they want me to join.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

I have requested a moderator move your post to the online / network gaming section of the forum, the folks there should get you up and running.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'm not sure if my message is correct or if is not understandable. Does anyone understand what I am asking or should I try to explain it again??
Old 01-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Sorry you didn't get helped sooner. We've been busy. I'm on my phone right now, but when I get on my PC next I will see what I can come up with. :)

If I don't reply within two days PM me as I sometimes get busy and forget threads.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Moderator - Games Team
Articles Team

My System

Here I am. :)

Okay first of all, make sure Minecraft is allowed through the firewall on all the PCs. It should be, but make sure by going to Start>Control Panel (make sure your Control Panel view is set to Icons, not Category)>Windows Firewall>Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall (in the left pane)>then make sure there is a check mark next to Minecraft.

To make sure your PCs are communicating with each other, go to Start, type in Cmd and hit Enter, then type in ipconfig and hit Enter. What you're looking for is the IPv4 Address. Write this down, then go to the other PC>Start>Cmd and type in ping plus the IPv4 number you have, so it should look something like this: ping 192.168.x.xxx If it's not communicating it will say "Ping request could not find host xxx.xxx.x.xxx, etc.".

If I don't reply within two days PM me as I sometimes get busy and forget threads.
Closed Thread