Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

word pad in right click context menu

This is a discussion on word pad in right click context menu within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I really do not like the formatting options in notepad and greatly prefer word pad. I have msword but I

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Enthusiast

My System

I really do not like the formatting options in notepad and greatly prefer word pad.
I have msword but I am trying to keep documents universal as I change locations often while working on other people computer and they dont aleays have Word.

Could some one tell me how to get word pad into the right click|new contect menu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi Pat, I just wrote this for you I also now have WordPad in my right context Menu (thank you), you know the deal copy paste all below into notepad save to desktop call it wordpad.reg and double click to merge.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WordPad]
@="WordPad"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WordPad\Command]
@="wordPad.exe \"%1\""
Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

One thing that i just found though were these things two

The new wordpad for W7 seems to be not backward compatible to other systems
If that doesnt suck enough.

The .wri files that it writes will be opened by word if it is on the system unless the
association is changed.
I can live with that.

Can you do me one more favor and upload a copy of your vista ver. of wordpad.exe and the wordpad.mui files?
I would like to see if I can rename them and install it and see what may happen.
I was reading this
https://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...s-wordpad.html
I see where he was unsuccessful but I think it may be due to not renaming the wordpad.mui file in the en-us directory.
I may also have to find where the mui file is listed in the registry and create an entry for it.

This would be helpful if I take some of these created wri files to another location and bump into Vista or XP.

Here is a link that I believe vista can use to put things into the new menu.
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...enu-items.html
Closed Thread