Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Won't load safari or chrome, or run .exe, and user profile missing issues

This is a discussion on Won't load safari or chrome, or run .exe, and user profile missing issues within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I would appreciate any help in this area from those in the know! My problems are: 2 months ago

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

I would appreciate any help in this area from those in the know!

My problems are:

2 months ago I could not enter my user area as it would not load. I followed microsoft instructions and altered the .bak profile in the registry, and problem fixed itself.

Today, Chrome stopped working - if I try to load it flahses up and instantly closes itself.
I uninstalled chrome and downloaded the .exe to reinstall - sometmes when I click nothing happens, and sometimes it initiates but then disappears, and nothing happens.
So I tried using safari - if I click to open it, nothing happens.
I am now using Internet Explorer which is working slowly.

I tried doing a system restore, but when the computer restarted, the user area problem appeared again, and I had to go back and alter the registry. Problem fixed.
However, I got a message saying system restore could not restore due to an unspecified error.

In the last day or so I have installed iCloud, Safari, and evernote - otherwise mainly just use the computer for Office and the internet, and not had any other issues.

Please help! any advice greatly received.
thankyou x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, and welcome to the forums, it seems you have a corrupt user profile, it would probably be best if you created a new user account, tested it to make sure all is OK then transfer the data from the old user account to the new one.

What user accounts do you have at present, and is the main account administrator?

Go to start search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

net user > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) please post the notepad outcome here.

To be sure go to start, search and type:-

netplwiz (press enter) under users what do you see.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi, thanks for your advice.
I created a new profile area, and downloaded Chrome, and everything seems to be working fine.

Do you know what might have caused a corrupt user area? I don't want it to reoccur...
I did a malwarebytes and AVG scan and one malware was found (an .exe in the recycle bin).

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What Malwarebytes Or AVG found could have caused the corrupted profile malware, and viruses can do that. I recommended going to and following these instructions below. You might be still infected. These people will ensure you are not and give you a clean bill of health.

Go to my signature "Virus Help" https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...lp-305963.html follow all steps and instructions. Please do not post any logs here or in the Microsoft Support Forum. Keep them in Virus Malware, Spyware Help

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi jack,

The exe was found by malware bytes and successfully removed.

I am now experiencing a further problem.

After clicking a link (it was a charity website, so safe) to a PDF my computer froze and then went to a blue screen where it said the problem was a bad pool header... So my computer restarted and ran check disc. 3 unindexed files were processed. This blue screen also occurred a couple of weeks ago but it was a different error.

Does this sound like a virus, or is like my 5 year old laptop just giving up?
Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The link is the right link I make sure my links send people to the right place. It seems you have a "Redirect" infection. Clear indication you are still infected. Reboot in "Safe Mode with Networking" then head over to the link I provided the first link.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sorry, I did not mean the link you gave me. I was in the middle of backing up some data onto an external hard drive, so was browsing the web, and that's when he blue screen happened. It has happened a second time since too, when in the middle of backing up, with a different error.

I will follow the virus thing as soon as I have backed everything up first!

Thanks
Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you know what the Blue Screen of Death said the error code or message? For example.. DMI_DATA_POOL

Error 0x1234567890

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Closed Thread