Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Wont Boot, need disc/iso to make disc.

This is a discussion on Wont Boot, need disc/iso to make disc. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, a buddy of mine's POS laptop isn't booting since he lent it to his friend. (Great friend huh?) It's

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, a buddy of mine's POS laptop isn't booting since he lent it to his friend. (Great friend huh?)

It's got Vista home premium, I've had a play with it and it wont boot in safe mode, the recovery tool fails, he has no restore points, and it's basically bricked. (BIOS sees the hard drive, the memory test tool doesn't report any problems, so HD is fine as far as I can tell)

He's happy to lose his C: drive, and I'm not willing to spend any effort on it. However, he's not happy to spend any cash on it, which is a problem because he doesn't have a windows disk.

The hard drive also doesn't have a recovery sector.

Is there a way to legally download Windows Vista? If I'm going to go through the effort of pirating a copy of Windows Vista, to then use a legal key he has stuck to bottom of it, then I might as well just download a OS that isn't terrible tbh.

So yeah
TLDR:
Vista Broke. Need disc, is there a way to download a .ISO for Windows Vista without infringing copyright laws? Or is it a case of "Put hand in pocket."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

No, you cannot download any Windows ISO legally for free. You will need a Windows disc to repair the OS.
You can download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Or burn it to USB Flash with SeaFlash in my signature. Boot off of the media and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails the HDD needs to be replaced.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony Vaio vpceb490x won't boot from Windows 7 install disc
I just recently bought and installed a new hard drive in this laptop, as the old one was throwing errors left and right and rapidly failing over the past week, I couldn't even complete a chkdsk scan without it freezing. So I installed the new hard drive, go into bios to make sure CD drive is...
shatteredhalo Laptop Support 5 04-03-2014 07:31 PM
Make Win 2008 boot from Primary Partition (In which OS Installed)
My Laptop has currently Win 7 and Win 2008 server, and I can boot to both OS, using the boot menu Now I want to reinstall my Windows 7 installation without losing Win 2008 Server OS. The issue is that the boot loader is located in the 100MB partition which was created by default during the...
anoopamis Windows Servers 0 08-30-2013 10:09 AM
XP Wont boot or repair with xp disc
Hey guys. Used this site before to help with issues before...but I have really done something this time :( Before I tell you the problem il give you the spec, had a read at the rules before posting sticky... XP - latest version I presume as it hasn't updated in the last week or two Desktop -...
Kris8 Windows XP Support 7 01-30-2011 04:15 PM
Burning error in audio blank using Nero 6
I have a burning error in audio blank using Nero 6. Below is my log, What is the problem ? Windows XP 5.1 IA32 WinAspi: - ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 10/26/2004 5:35:34 PM
zhong Windows XP Support 12 01-13-2011 11:22 PM
XXCLONE the easy world of boot drive cloning
Welcome to the kindergarten easy world of boot drive cloning. :wave: This project will demonstrate how to make an exact bootable clone (copy) of your existing hard drive. After the cloning process is complete, you may select which ever drive you want to boot from in the future. You shall...
linderman Hard Drive Support 0 12-26-2006 04:59 PM