Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows Vista Installation Issue

This is a discussion on Windows Vista Installation Issue within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Ubuntu as my native OS, and it originally took up all of my hard drive space, which was

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have Ubuntu as my native OS, and it originally took up all of my hard drive space, which was about 200GB, but I booted Ubuntu from a Live CD and partitioned about 70 GB out of the original 200, and had planned on installing my Windows Vista back into my computer. When I select the unused 70 GB partition, it gives me a message kind of like "Windows was unable to find a partition with the appropriate volume." I took this like I didn't have enough space. It's Windows Vista Home Premium, and I looked around and everywhere I look it says it should take 40 GB of space and need about 15 GB of free space. I have enough, don't I? The entire 70 GB partition is completely blank. I don't know how to fix this problem. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Visiting BSOD Expert
Microsoft Support Team

When you shrink the volume, how many partitions are on the disk at the time? An MBR disk can only have a maximum of 4 partitions, so if your Ubuntu installation created 4 partitions, you won't be able to create any more (regardless of how much space is free).
Old 06-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

when you partitioned the 70 gig, how was it formated or was it?
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Well, there's the main hard drive partition labeled as "Primary" then I made the 70 GB unused partition, which is also labeled as "Primary". There's a 7 GB partition labeled as "Logical" when I go to install Vista, but I honestly don't know what that is, and I formatted the 70 GB partition already because it wasn't working beforehand, but it won't work after I formatted it either.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Are you installing a full retail version of Vista?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

OS: Windows 7 SP1 (x64), XP Home (x32), Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora 14

My System

Send a message via MSN to DT Roberts Send a message via Skype™ to DT Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimshaw View Post
There's a 7 GB partition labeled as "Logical" when I go to install Vista, but I honestly don't know what that is...
I believe Ubuntu installs another partition which it uses as swap space instead of a file as Windows does. This is probably the partition.

I'd try deleting the empty 70GB partition from within Ubuntu and let Windows create the partition itself (the 70GB will show up as free space in the installer).
Closed Thread