Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows Reports HDD Is Failing

This is a discussion on Windows Reports HDD Is Failing within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a seagate 4Tb sata drive. I tested it with the seagate tool, and tried to repair it, but

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

I have a seagate 4Tb sata drive. I tested it with the seagate tool, and tried to repair it, but no go. Windows gave me the option to make a backup and I did. My question is will I be able to restore windows to a new drive with that backup or do I have to do it another way?

Thanks for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you just backed up your personal; data, your best bet it to install Windows via: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
This gives you a nice fresh base to work from.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Pencil

I don't want windows 10 ... I just want to create an image of windows 7 so I can put it on a new drive. Will that backup windows made be enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I don't know if you made a backup of your Data or a System Image. If you did the latter then your new drive after restoration will be exactly as the old one was. Windows 7 still makes this easy. The feature has been discontinued on later OSs.

Old 03-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
The feature has been discontinued on later OSs.
If it was done using the Backup & Restore feature of Windows 7 it should be a full system image.

Actually, Windows 10 still contains this utility in Control Panel, but it was deprecated several years ago, and Microsoft has recommended using a third party tool since that time. I just checked and it's still there as "Backup & Recovery (Windows 7)" in the Windows 10 Control Panel. You could install Windows 10, unactivated, then use it to restore the Win7 installation.

Now that Windows 7 is officially out of support, even if restored, an immediate update to Windows 10 should be done, and still can be done at no cost, keeping both user data files and installed programs.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Pin

Nope ... still don't want windows 10, but I have a new problem with my intel rig. I was able to create an image for my amd rig with the failing hard drive, but I'm getting errors for the other one. This has nothing to do with the hard drive, so I will go to the windows 7 section. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Mistake

I'm trying to make a back up of my intel rig system, but I keep getting this error ...
A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information. (0x807800A1)
Additional Information:
The writer experienced a non-transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error is likely to reoccur. (0x800423F4)

I went into Services and put Volume Copy Service to automatic, and started it, but that didn't help. How do I get a system image?
Thanks for reading my post.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Although Windows 7 Backup & Restore is still on Windows 10 computers, the ability to copy the clone to a new disc is gone as the command "Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer” only exists on Windows 7 computers. That means spirittoo can do it, but a 10 user can't. A 10 user can still use the backup of personal files for restoration, although as britechguy stated, there are better programs.
Finally, as to Post #7, if you're using 3rd party AV and or firewall, disable them and try again.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:29 AM   #9
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Although Windows 7 Backup & Restore is still on Windows 10 computers, the ability to copy the clone to a new disc is gone as the command "Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer” only exists on Windows 7 computers.
Interesting. And great to know.

I stopped using the built-in Backup & Restore a very, very long time ago for a number of reasons, but am surprised that the option you mention has been removed. It makes the very name of the utility, and its intended purpose, void if you can't restore.

But, that being said, MS did deprecate this a long time ago, and the moment something is deprecated the wise stop using it. It could disappear entirely at any moment. And the core component used for this feature was deprecated a long while back.

Microsoft Announcement of Deprecated Features, including SIB [Backup and Restore (Windows 7)]
Old 03-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

If the error reoccurs even after turning off antivirus/security programs, open an elevated command prompt and run the following command-line:

Code:
wevtutil epl Application "%userprofile%\desktop\Applications.evtx"

A file called Applications will appear on the desktop. Zip this file and attach the zip file in your next reply. To zip the file, just right-click it, select Send to then choose Compressed folder.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Question

Turning off the AV and any other security did not work. I tried the command, but I got the message that "C:\Users\DL' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

What I don't understand is that I have made a backup in the past with no problem ... now this.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Make sure you're using Admin Command Prompt and not Power Shell. Copy and paste the command as it's correct as posted and find the result on your desktop.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
Windows Tech Team

My System

And as a data point, the command:

wevtutil epl Application "%userprofile%\desktop\Applications.evtx"

still works perfectly well under Win10 as well as Win7. Just ran it after copying from the original citation and it finished in under 10 seconds, probably more like 5.

It's been around "forever," so this is not surprising.

It also worked just fine in a non-elevated Command Prompt session.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Roll Eyes

Okay ... I got it right this time, didn't put in the whole command line ... just what was in the ".
Attached Files
File Type: zip Applications.zip (993.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-15-2020, 04:11 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Backup is failing because of the following error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IVssAsrWriterBackup::GetAsrMetadata. hr = 0x80042416, System partition (partition marked "active") is hidden or contains an unrecognized file system. Backup does not support this configuration.

Writer ASR Writer experienced some error during snapshot creation. More info: System partition (partition marked "active") is hidden or contains an unrecognized file system. Backup does not support this configuration. (0x80042416).

The above error indicates there's something about the system reserved partition that the backup engine doesn't like, but it has nothing to do with the partition being hidden or containing an unrecognised file system. That bit is quite misleading. My guess is that the system reserved partition has less free space than is required for the successful creation of its shadow copy. The partition is typically 100MB in size and 70MB free space is required for successful creation of its shadow copy. Third-party software may have enabled the USN journal for this partition, thus eating up space and leaving less free space. One solution is to increase the size of the system reserved partition to bigger than 100MB, but no more than 500MB. Another solution is to disable the USN journal for that partition and to delete the journal, thus freeing up space. This is the solution that I recommend, for the purpose of creating an urgent system image backup, because it is faster and easier to do, but first we need to confirm the space usage of the system reserved partition as reported by Disk Management, so open Disk Management, take screenshot of it and attach it in your next reply.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Pencil

Here it is ... I don't think it is showing large enough, but I don't know how I can make it bigger for you to see or how to cut out the other two screens. How can I get you a better image? Don't know much about paint
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskManshot.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	325318  
Old 03-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
Here it is ... I don't think it is showing large enough, but I don't know how I can make it bigger for you to see or how to cut out the other two screens. How can I get you a better image? Don't know much about paint
Don't use paint. Use snipping tool instead. It let's you take a snapshot of a window target only. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-a-screenshot and use it to snap the Disk Management window. Make sure the space used and free space columns are visible in the window, or you could just type the values for the system reserved partition. You should get familiar with taking proper screenshots though.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #18
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
How can I get you a better image? Don't know much about paint
ALT+PrtSc will save a snapshot of the *window* that currently has focus to the clipboard.

PrtSc will save a snapshot of whatever is currently displayed on the screen to the clipboard.

Open Paint, then paste from the clipboard, then save. The image will be full size and, if posted here, will expand to that full size (or as close as a given user's display can get it and still show the whole thing).
Old 03-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

Pencil

Okay ... hopefully I got it right this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaptureDrives.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	325334  
Old 03-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #20
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Okay ... hopefully I got it right this time.
The screenshot is okay, but the partition of interest, the System Reserved partition, is not visible in the top list. Scroll the list so that it is in view, then take a new screenshot. The partition is 100MB in size and has no drive letter. We need to see how much free space it has.
Closed Thread