Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows failed to start after enabling Clean Boot.

This is a discussion on Windows failed to start after enabling Clean Boot. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I have a very serious problem. Some misguided Microsoft tech asked that I perform the following: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 .

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hi all,

I have a very serious problem.

Some misguided Microsoft tech asked that I perform the following:
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135.

Immediately after the restart I was faced with the following message:

Windows failed to start.
Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Startup Repair doesn't work. - Root cause found: the partition table does not have a valid Sys Part.
System Restore doesn't work - system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)
Bootrec -rebuildbcd doesn't work - Element not found.
Bcdedit doesn't work - The requested system device cannot be found.
Gparted doesn't work - can't load module ntfs: invalid argument.

How can this be fixed, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Bootcfg doesn't work - Cannot open BOOT.INI file.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

Do you have recovery software?

If not, can you provide the equipment details. Laptop, Desktop etc....motherboard if desktop, RAM, BIOS version and finally Windows version.

If you don't have recovery software, what is the COA on the machine for (Version of and Type of Windows)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Hi Michael, thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry I left these out in my haste:

MSI H77MA
Intel 3570K
2x4GB OCZ Gold
CoolerMaster 1kW Silent Pro Platinum
Powercolor HD7850 2GB PCS+
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

No, I don't have recovery software. The only thing I can think of is a system image that is currently not showing up in Windows recovery environment.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, a clean boot as described in the MS site is a normal diagnostic feature, we run them often, with no problems, so the issue might just be coincidental.

Do you have a copy of the OS dvd if so boot from it select the RE (repair your computer) option. From the available options list select command prompt.

At the x sources prompt type:- bcdedit | find "osdevice" (exactly as shown here) press enter.

It will return a partition usually C:, use whatever lettter the cmd returns in the following cmd's (assume c:)

At the x sources prompt type:- chkdsk c:/r (press enter) 5 stages of chkdsk will run, and can take a long time to compete, do not worry if you receive an error 50, this is normal.

Next still at the x sources prompt type:- C: (or the partition letter from the first cmd) press enter.

Next at the c: prompt type:-

bootrec /fixboot (press enter) should receive a success message.

next type:-

bootrec /fixmbr (press enter, success message).

next type:-

bootrec /rebuildbcd (press enter) will take awhile and when requested press Y restart computer, it may during restart load some device drivers just wait till it goes to your log on...let us know how you get on.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

You can do as Jenae states and attempt to repair the MBR (master boot record).
Old 09-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Hi jenae, thank you for your detailed advice.

I was about to try them out when I put the machine into a cold boot for the first time since this issue arose. I then booted from the flash drive again but this time it automatically started scanning for Windows installations and afterwards asked if I would like to repair automatically. Yes please of course.

After this was done, it restarted and quite surprisingly, booted straight to desktop. So far, so good. I have reinstated all startup items in msconfig.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, looks good well done.