Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows Explorer Doesn't Load

This is a discussion on Windows Explorer Doesn't Load within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First off, sorry if someone has already posted with this issue. I am a strong believer of "if you can't

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

First off, sorry if someone has already posted with this issue. I am a strong believer of "if you can't find it on Google, you'll never find it", but this is really starting to get on my nerves a bit as I've spent hours of my time trying to get to the bottom of it!

9 times out of 10, when i open an explorer window, (whether it be 'My Computer' from both desktop shortcut and start menu shortcut or control panel, devices and printers etc) I get a blank window. The green loading bar at the top slowly progresses through and then hangs towards the end. I once left it for 3 hours to no effect.

I was wondering if you guys had any idea on what the issue could be and how i could fix it.

If i restart my machine, it fixes the issue briefly, then starts again.

I have found a work around however. If i open my computer, then right click the 'My Computer' shortcut on the right hand tool bar and click 'Open in new window', explorer opens perfectly and then works for about half an hour before breaking again!

Hopefully you all have enough information and some genius out there will solve what i could not.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

As a side note. I tried to replicate the issue in safe mode and as far as i'm aware, there wasn't one... But obviously the screen res was making my eyes implode, so i couldn't stay like that for too long.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Run eventvwr.msc and see if it shows something.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Run eventvwr.msc and see if it shows something.
Good shout!

I ran event viewer and got a DNS error.

"Name resolution for the name isatap.!domain!.ad timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

So from this i disabled IPv6 through the registry permanently and BOOM, no more problems for explorer!

I'm assuming it was something to do with one of the network drives mapped on my machine.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

OK, turns out that didn't work. It just seemed like at the time it did. The only other thing that seemed to consistently coming up in the event viewer was 'Bonjour', but I've totally got rid of that.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I will re mark this thread as unsolved.
Go to Control Panel/Users and create a new user with Admin rights. Log out of the user you are in and log in as the new user. Does that work?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

Ok, I seemed to have solved the issue.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that i was logging on to my machine via a domain account.

When I logged into the local admin account, there was no problem with explorer and everything was working 'hunky dory'.

So from here i backed up my account files, and deleted the user from my machine via control panel>user accounts>manage user accounts.

When i logged in however, i kept getting logged in to a tempory account "as my account could not be found".

Turns out there is a key in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList) that corresponds to each account thats accessed the machine (the sub keys have obscure names, but if you click through each one, youll see a mention of the username of each account).

from here i deleted the corresponding key and volia... everything seems to be sorted. Explorer loads fine, all my network drives are mapped and i can log into my account fine.

Cheers for the help guys. All though i kind of know what im doing, i just need a push in the right direction to make the gears turn in my mind :)

Thanks again
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
Registered Member

Ok,

I seem to have gotten ahead of myself. Again.

Its seems that after i copied all my old files back to thier respective places on my new desktop, that the issue has re-occured. I assume it was this, as it was working fine till i did, but it may have just been delayed as i didnt have time to use the machine long before restoring the files back on to my machine.

Apart from repeating the previous step and testing it for a set amount of time, does anyone have any other ideas?

I am using Trend Micro office scan, did a sweep of my machine and no luck. No nasties showed themselves...

Cheers guys
Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I'm not sure how Bonjour got in a Windows machine, but if it did, make sure to delete it in your Control Panel or with CCleaner. It's an Apple program used to find a printer or something (I'm not a Mac guy).

Old 05-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Bonjour comes bundled with iTunes, if you installed iTunes or use an iPhone, you installed Bonjour.
This could be a Domain policy set by the Domain Controller in AD. Are you logging in on the Domain?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Registered Member

Yes I am logging into the Domain and I also have access to the Domain controller via mstsc with full admin rights.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

If the Domain Controller affects DHCP (it does,controls DNS) then Bonjour still could be involved. See: The Default Gateway may have been set to 0.0.0.0 on a Windows Vista-based or later OS running Apple.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Registered Member

Followed those steps and restarted my machine to no effect
Closed Thread