Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows 7 SP1 won't boot, startup repair doesn't work

This is a discussion on Windows 7 SP1 won't boot, startup repair doesn't work within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, this is my first time posting here and I'm at a loss for what to do, so I'm going

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, this is my first time posting here and I'm at a loss for what to do, so I'm going to be ridiculously thorough in my explanation of the problem.

My computer is a Dell XPS 8300. The only hardware change since I bought it is the video card, from a Radeon 5450 to an Nvidia GT520.
My specs are:
Processor: Intel i5 (can't access the specifics)
RAM: 6 GB
HDD Space: 1 TB

For the past couple of days, my computer has been taking longer than usual to run programs. (This may or may not have anything to do with the problem.) When I did a hard reboot, the Windows symbol appeared as normal, but it was there for longer than normal. Then, a blue screen flashed, fast enough for me to not be able to read what was on it, and then the screen went black.

I rebooted it after that, and it gave me the option to use Startup Repair or to start windows normally. Starting windows normally results in the same issue.

When I use startup repair, it spends some time running, then has the error, "Startup repair cannot repair this problem automatically". The problem details are as such:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name:
StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature 01:

Problem Signature 02:

Problem Signature 03:
unknown

Problem Signature 04:

Problem Signature 05:
AutoFailover

Problem Signature 06:

Problem Signature 07:
CorruptAcl

OS Version:

Locale ID:

The window also tells me to disconnect any devices attached to the computer, which I have done. I checked the diagnostic and repair details, this is what it said:

Last successful boot time: 8/16/2014 7:30:51 am GMT (3 days before this post)
Number of repair attempts: 7

Session details: AutoChk Run = 0, Number of root causes = 1

Here are the tests performed:

Name: Check for Updates
Completed Successfully. Error code 0x0

Name: System disk check

Name: Disk Failure Diagnosis

Name: Disk Metadata test

Name: Target OS Test

Name: Volume Content Check

Name: Boot manager diagnosis

Name: System boot log diagnosis

Name: Event Log diagnosis

Name: Internal state check

Root Cause Found:
Startup Repair has tried several times but still cannot determine the cause of the problem.

There are a whole bunch of other tests performed, all completed successfully, however there was a "root cause" named twice:

"ACLSs on file C:\Windows\system32\gdi32.dll are not proper. Old value = 0x0"

I'm given other options to fix the problem (whatever it is).

System Restore is not an option because (due to lack of foresight) I never set any restore points.

System Image recovery is not an option because I don't have a system image.

I clicked on Windows Memory Diagnostic, it restarted my computer, then started checking for memory problems on a blue screen. A loading screen appeared. It finished running the tests, then restarted. The Dell loading screen appeared and then I just had a black screen. 30 minutes later, still black screen. I did a hard reboot.

I have no idea what to do with the command prompt, so that isn't an option.

What should I do? I'd very much like to avoid going to a shop and fix this on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

ACLS means Access Control List or permissions to that particular driver.
You will need a Windows DVD or reset your computer back to Factory Defaults from the Recovery Partition.
If you have a Windows DVD you can boot off of that and choose Repair Your Computer.
If you don't have a Windows DVD, then most likely you have a Recovery Partition.
Restart the computer and hold the CTRL key down and press F11 to enter Recovery: Dell System Recovery Partition Hotkey & Instructions (Dell PC Restore)
Old 08-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Agreed with spunk.funk, grab a Windows software disk and boot run it, try to run repair and if that doesn't work, then try system restore or factory reset.
If you have pics/docs, etc...save them onto another device. Factory reset will erase everything. (I think you have an option to not erase personal files on some restore options, just not sure about a full factory restore.) Good Luck!
Closed Thread