Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows 7 sp1 Problem

This is a discussion on Windows 7 sp1 Problem within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I could not get widows update to successfully install service pack 1, there were about 10 "failed" installs. Each time

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I could not get widows update to successfully install service pack 1, there were about 10 "failed" installs. Each time it was unable to download the update. So I went ahead and downloaded the SP manually. I've seen many posts around here that doing so is not a great idea. But I couldn't find any fix for my problem so I went ahead anyway.

The install was fairly smooth. There was a glitch at one point, but after a reboot, everything seemed to be fine. That is until I tried to wake the computer up from sleep mode. Everything seemed normal at first, but after a few seconds the pointer was moving very slowly and jumping and then the computer froze up completely. Alt+ctrl+del did nothing, the keyboard was also locked up. I tried all the fixes I found here and elsewhere and nothing worked. So, I turned off sleep mode and everything is fine.

Problem is, that's a huge waste of energy, so I'd like to get this problem fixed. I figured I'd try to uninstall and then reinstall SP1. But I keep getting, "Installer encountered an error: 0x80070057. The parameter is incorrect." each time I try the uninstall. Either from "Programs and Features" or from an elevated command prompt. Everywhere I've looked it says one of those ways will work, or you've deleted your install files. But my install files are all still where they're supposed to be.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Build:
O/S: Windows 7 Home Premium x64, SP1
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Deluxe;
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 GHz;
Memory: Corsair 4 GB DDR2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5D;
Video Card: NVIDEA GeForce GTX 285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2469239
Old 05-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thank you for the response. But that solution does not apply. I have no key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\COMPONENTS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #4
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Try the Fix-it - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2469239
Old 05-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

No go. It says, "This Microsoft Fix it does not apply to your operating system or application version."
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I tried updating some drivers that Windows Update did not update to see if that might help. I still cannot get SP1 to uninstall, but instead of getting, "Installer encountered an error: 0x80070057. The parameter is incorrect." I get, "An error has occurred. Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled."

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Bump?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Hi dkelber,

Can you try this for me:

Start> and type cmd in the search bar at the bottom. cmd.exe will show at the top of the list. Right click on it and select 'Run as Administrator' and click Yes when prompted. The at the Command Prompt type sfc/verifyonly and hit Enter. Let it work. Just want to verify that you don't have any damages system files.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Thanks for responding. I've attached the CBS log.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CBS.zip (1.81 MB, 23 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

slipstream the sp1 into the win7 disk with vlite

then use the disk to run a upgrade install

vLite - Windows Vista configuration tool

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

I tried the upgrade with just sp1 slipstreamed and I got the error, "Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade." So, i slipstreamed all the updates that were installed on my computer by Windows Update since sp1 (Or at least I think I did). But I am getting the same message.

Thanks for the assistance!
Old 05-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

boot to the install screen and see if it will go into the repair option

Closed Thread