Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows 7 Running SLOW

This is a discussion on Windows 7 Running SLOW within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I recently had an issue where when I would boot up my laptop, i would get a black screen

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
I recently had an issue where when I would boot up my laptop, i would get a black screen with a blinking cursor...that's all I would get. To fix this, I had to download a windows 7 recovery CD, boot to it and open up command prompt and then run the following commands:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /fixboot

after wards, I finally was able to get into W7...the only issue is, like the title says, the computer is running slower than i've ever experienced. It will not take too long to log on but once logged on, anything takes minutes, i.e.: opening up firefox, opening up internet explorer or chrome...it takes about 30 seconds to open up the start menu...something is terribly wrong here as it was working JUST fine before this issue happened.

It does seem that one of the fans has failed but it is still staying cool. I don't know what caused the black screen/blinking cursor issue but my wife was on it, just browsing the web and suddenly the laptop just shut down and then it went to that screen.

I have already ran a virus scan, disabled unnecessary services and start-up items but the computer is still running terribly slow.

Any help with why my computer is running so terribly slow would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi start with this https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ow-532072.html

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google Redirect
Hi everyone! Last week my computer had bluescreened and it had the Critical Disk Error virus which I was able to remove using rkill & Malware, but now it seems that I am having the Google Redirect problem. Not sure if these two are related, but wanted to include that in there in case it was. ...
irenekau Resolved HJT Threads 1 06-14-2011 02:06 PM
new issues with an old XP machine. Is it a virus McAfee can't find and clean?
For the past 2 months something is not right with our home computer, and I donít know what. I run McAfee, but the scan does not seem to run, takes days to finish and sometimes only says 1200 files scanned with no virus detected. When I run task manager says CPU usage is 100%. IE hangs up or...
tony_g Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 20 05-26-2011 09:01 AM
Windows Expplorer /Dr Watson debugger crashes + BSOD
Hi A while ago I had a virus/malware problem which was then resolved. The problem caused by Windows explorer to crash and gave me a BSOD when I tried to log in https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/bsod-after-removing-virus-544372.html Then just a couple of hours ago I had google...
catdog7 Resolved HJT Threads 68 05-13-2011 10:04 AM
pc blocked
i installed a program ,winmate,and after that my problems started,if i try to open any application ,i get an error, and if i try to run my browser it crashes,so I can only use it in safe mode.I did a scan with antivir and i found an hidden object and 36 warning,now i get a clean report scan ,but my...
ladymushroom Resolved HJT Threads 25 05-10-2011 11:14 PM
Plug and Play Causes Services to run 100%
About i week ago I booted my computer and noticed that it was running extremly slow. I opened task manager and found that services.exe was running up my CPU. After going through msconfig and using trial and error, i found that it wouldn't drive it up if i had Plug and Play unchecked. So my...
logicalman Resolved HJT Threads 46 02-09-2011 05:51 AM