Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows 7 blank screen after sleep mode (unable to power off with power button)

This is a discussion on Windows 7 blank screen after sleep mode (unable to power off with power button) within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, After putting my computer into sleep mode last night, I was unable to get it to boot into windows

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
After putting my computer into sleep mode last night, I was unable to get it to boot into windows this morning. When i pressed the power buttong, everything turn on and working (all fans are functional, gpu power led is on, all hard drives & cd drives are functional. But the problem is, the screen to my monitor is blank. I also noticed that my usb aren't working (mouse connection light isn't on). I tried a soft power off by holding down the power button but no luck. The system does not turn off no matter how long I hold it. The only way to turn it off is by pulling the power supply cord or turning the power supply switch off.

My pc build:

AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz Socket AM3+ 6 core processor
ASUS ENGTX 560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 Geforce GTX 560
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 Motherboard
COOLMAX ZU-700B 700W ATX 12V Power Supply
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) 240-pin DDR 3 SDRAM 2133 (PC3 17000)
Prolimatech PRO Panther 120mm CPU Cooler
NZXT Phantom PHAN-001RD case

THE PROBLEM: Computer turn on with everything running as usual, but shows blank screen on monitor. Cannot soft power off by pressing power button.

Things I tried:

Clear CMOS by removing battery and switching pins
Running with 1 4GB RAM instead of 2, move the ram around the slots & alternate which Ram is used.
Check my monitor by testing it with another computer
Tried pulling the PS plug and holding the computer power button for 1 min
Test the GPU with another computer & it runs fine
I tried removing all USB and excess drive and booting up with only the essential (GPU, CPU, 1 HD, 1 Ram)
Checked all connection between Motherboard and Power supply
Checked all connection within the PC

From my research, I noticed that many people are saying that there is something to do with the ASUS motherboard bios that need to be updated. And since I cannot even get into the boot screen, I can't update the bios. Please let me know if there is anything I can do/try to troubleshoot the problem.
Thank you so much,
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Hello,

Is it possible that you can test with another compatible PSU? I would strongly suggest doing so.

Also try the following steps:
•Make sure that the (internal) speaker is connected to the motherboard
•Remove all memory and attempt to boot the PC
•You should get the no memory beep errors

If the Power Supply is in working order and no beeps are present then it can be indicative of a faulty motherboard.

For troubleshooting purposes it may be a good idea to remove the components from the case and bench test to rule out a short.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...em-262998.html
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Unfortunately I don't have a spare PSU with me. I also connected the internal speaker but there is no beep code. Not even when I removed all the memory. Do you think it could be the motherboard?

Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It is very likely this is a problem with the motherboard.

Are you still testing with everything installed in the case?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Registered Member

Actually I was able to borrow a PSU (500W) from a friend. Hooked it up and it loaded up like normal, no error whatsoever, and shows 1 beep. So I then went back to the old PSU (700W) and it did not load up. At this point, I'm going RMA it and will post back with further details.

Thank you so much for your time,
Kevin
Old 01-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It seems like you found the problem.

I would suggest using this opportunity to upgrade the PSU to a quality unit.

The Coolmax that was previously being used is a lower quality unit.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Yes I was thinking about upgrading. What would you suggest? And what wattage for my system?

Thanks again,
Kevin
Closed Thread