Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Windows 7 bizarre issue, please read

This is a discussion on Windows 7 bizarre issue, please read within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I've recently built a new machine for gaming and work etc and I was having some issues which I

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

So I've recently built a new machine for gaming and work etc and I was having some issues which I thought I'd nailed down to being related to my SSD which I was running the OS off of. I wiped the ssd and the HDD I was using for storage and reinstalled the OS on the HDD, leaving the SSD out of the box entirely. It was working fine for a day until this morning. When I turned it on it gave me the "Select OS" prompt as if I had multiple OSs installed on different drives. Both options were Win 7 but the second option gave me a "device cannot be found" error as if it was looking for the original win 7 install that was on the SSD. I'm at a loss for what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hello, are you saying the OS is crashing and you can't get back on or do you need the other options gone so it can just auto boot without the prompt?

If it's crashing, it sounds like a driver issue. On your motherboard do you have two different SATA ports? Like one is Intel and the other Gigabyte (just making this up)? But the solution is to make sure you install the drivers for them from the CD that came with your motherboard. You can try switching to the other and see what happens.

Try swapping cables too just a to be sure. Follow your motherboard recommendation for the proper BIOS setting for SATA if you haven't.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, yes we need the answers to Phou's questions, if you can access a cmd prompt type:

bcdedit> 0 & notepad 0 (press enter)

Post the notepad outcome here.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

The first option was booting into the OS just fine, the second was just giving me an error. I decided to wipe the HDD again and reinstall though so at the moment it doesn't appear to be a problem. If it happens again I'll come back I guess.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search