Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

What do I need to do to install Windows 7 Ultimate in my Dell Inspiron 6000?

This is a discussion on What do I need to do to install Windows 7 Ultimate in my Dell Inspiron 6000? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am new on here. I just purchased a 120GB hard drive and a DVD/DVR rom for my Dell

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: HP Probook 4420s 2.4 GHz i3 /120GB SSD#1/500GB HDD#2/ 8GB DDR3 1333mhz/HPgraphic/ Win 7 Ultimate 64

Hello, I am new on here.
I just purchased a 120GB hard drive and a DVD/DVR rom for my Dell Inspiron 6000 so my laptop would be maxed out in every way so a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate would run smoothly. My Inspiron 6000 also has 2GB of ram and a 1.6Ghz processor. As I browse through Google with this question I get a lot of yes and no answers. Some said, no Windows 7 won't work on an Inspiron 6000 because of so and so. Then I see other people saying download a driver for a Inspiron 6400 Windows Vista and install it and this will solve the audio issue people have. This driver will allow my sound to work when I install Windows 7? What I am confused of is what do I need to do before I install Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit? If I install that driver, won't it just go away when I do a fresh install of W7U? Won't that erase everything including the drivers? I am still waiting for the DVD rom to com in the mail so I am trying to get everything ready before I make any huge changes and delete Windows XP SP3 I am currently using right now which is on the 40GB hard drive the Dell Inspiron 6000 came with. So I will be installing my new hard drive 120gb Seagate ITE with new ITE adapter in the laptopo along with the DVD/DVR rom so there will be nothing on the hard drive at all. I will have to format it. Where do I get all these drivers for Windows 7 when Dell.com only offers drivers for Windows Xp? I seen a lot people saying they had drivers for vista and they got them off Dell.com. Any advice on how I should proceed with this would be very much appreciated. Very much appreciated. Thank you,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF have you run the upgrade advisor Download: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details
have you looked on the dell support site for your model for info on wether win7 will work

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

2 Gig of RAM is the bare minimum for windows 7 so you can expect less than steller performance

Installing Windows 7 on a laptop whose manufacturer does not have windows 7 drivers can result in a long tedious exercize . . Windows 7 will likely have most of the drivers, but no gurantees on that . . Windows update may or may not offer the rest.

See this for how to pick and dig for drivers:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...rs-419050.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

OS: HP Probook 4420s 2.4 GHz i3 /120GB SSD#1/500GB HDD#2/ 8GB DDR3 1333mhz/HPgraphic/ Win 7 Ultimate 64

Yes, 2GB of ram is the bare bones, I read an article in Microsoft on how to make W7 run with the same speed as XP PRO SP3 with 2GB of ram but I will have to give up a lot of the "Visual makes it look pretty options" that Windows 7 has. Before you install Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Ultimate service pack 1 it gave a list of what to turn off while doing a custom install of W7 and after it has installed, what options to turn off that are "Makes it look pretty" options (they didn't word it like that) haha. So I emailed the person who wrote the article for Microsoft and he said my Inspiron 6000 would run at the same speed as it does with XP PRO SP3 and maybe even faster because after shutting off and or not installing the stuff I won't use or the stuff that will make my laptop run probably the same or maybe less computing speed. I don't know, I figure I'll install this whole W7 deal on my old 40gb hard drive which is plenty big enough and do what he and you have told me and see how things work. If they suck, I'll just put my current hard drive back in. I asked him about the readyboost option that W7 has with using the SD cards or flash drives as "ram" ya know and he said that on the older laptops that have slower processors that readyboost usually shows a major difference in the speed of the laptop. So I will install W7 like I said and then set up my extra 4GB Sandisk SD card as extra so called "ram" or whatever and see what happens. I'll let you know how it works!! Thank you very much also for the driver information. Showing me how to look for the drivers using the #'s was way helpful. Makes searching for a driver so much easier because you know exactly what your looking for. Thanks again and take care!![/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

I downloaded that and ran it. That was the first thing I found when I googled what to do on the web. It does show I need a few different drivers. Thank you for the help sir!!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I run Win7 Ultimate on 2GB of ram and a pos Celeron 3.2Ghz 533FBS 512 L2 cache cpu it runs great.

I turn off unneeded services and do not run windows defender. Also turn off startup programs.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread