Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

What are disk utilities?

This is a discussion on What are disk utilities? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok so I'm trying to format my computer because nothing is loading. So when I tried formatting it, It says

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok so I'm trying to format my computer because nothing is loading. So when I tried formatting it, It says I have to "Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, And make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the drive. Then try formatting again."
So what is a disk utilities? I opened the task manager but I don't want to quit anything until I know what a disk utilities are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

if you want to format your pc the best way to do it is to put in the windows disc, boot from the disk the delete the partition and then format the pc

just so you know. Utilities are things like scan disk, defrag and disk clean up

remember if you format your pc you need the windows disk to reinstall windows and the motherboard disk to install the chipset drivers.

What computer do you have?
is it a pre built like a dell or hp or is a custom build?

if its a prebuilt then it will have a recovery partition which will take it back to how it was when you got it.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

how are you formating the computer - are you using a cd or windows disk? You cannot format it while running the os.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yeah we have a problem.. My drive where you put disks in is broke. I guess something got stuck in there. I tried pressing the button but it doesn't do anything. And I have a dell desktop. It won't load anything or when I try to download a new browser that current browser won't even load. The only browser that will work is Internet explorer. And when I try to load a website on it.. It says "windows can't open this page" or something like that. Somehow like a month ago everything got deleted on it. So now nothin will load. What do I do? How do I fix this problem? I can't put this computer in a shop cause I cannot afford it. Their has to be somehow for me to fix it for free.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #5
Enthusiast

My System

well if the drive wont open, you cannot put the windows disk in and format the drive.

try using a paper clip on the opening mechanism to prize the drawer open.

what is the model number of the computer?

sounds like to me that you have had a virus or still have a virus.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

hi,
after seeing all the discussion i just want to ask you, do your computer have USB port. if yes you can format the system by using the USB. just try to make USB your bootable disk and then put this in your CPU and format the system. but you have to choose the USB while doing the formating and in the very first option "boot from" regarding the device from which you want to Boot.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiyadepp
hi,
after seeing all the discussion i just want to ask you, do your computer have USB port. if yes you can format the system by using the USB. just try to make USB your bootable disk and then put this in your CPU and format the system. but you have to choose the USB while doing the formating and in the very first option "boot from" regarding the device from which you want to Boot.
Hi yes my computer does have a USB port in it. What USB do I use? Because someone gave me this computer and it didn't come with anything I got this computer about 3 years ago. I don't know the model number either I just tried looking for it.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Ok here Is the information on my computer
Microsoft windows xp
Home edition
Version 2002
Service pack 2
Intel(R)
Old 12-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
Enthusiast

My System

that does not say anything that tell us what operating system it has.

It should have model number printed on it somehwere and a name such as dell or something

this will tell you everything apart from the psu then you can tell us Speccy - System Information - Free Download
Closed Thread