Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Weird Internet browser issues and graphical issues

This is a discussion on Weird Internet browser issues and graphical issues within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently, I have been having some really odd graphical issues in my internet browser (Chrome but also happens in IE10).

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Recently, I have been having some really odd graphical issues in my internet browser (Chrome but also happens in IE10). I have run Antimalwarebytes and MSE and they turned up nothing. I have some examples.

https://i.imgur.com/4eIA2fL.png
https://i.imgur.com/hL5VMSx.png
https://i.imgur.com/2DtRUP1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Z1Xq4vm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/65UBknM.png
https://i.imgur.com/BbLD0g4.jpg

Last one is a example of what Steam looks like right now for me. I'm at a loss at what to do. Anti-virus shows nothing, rebooted router and modem, restarted computer, I can't seem to run any program that I download. It could be a virus but I can't find it with any program I run. I do have some graphical issues in video games. Such as in Dota II. Some characters will be missing some of their graphics. For instance a character model will not have his Hat on or have a weapon. Any help will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

IE10 in Win 7 has turned out to be a bit of a Pandora's Box with Flashplayer and Shockwave problems - not sure if it could also include Silverlight as well.

You could try uninstalling/reinstalling those to see if that improves or try the sites in Firefox.

Create a restore point before you uninstall Shockwave though because I've had a H of a problem with that in IE for it to include the ActiveX Control add-ons on the reinstall.

You could also see if they view okay in Safe Mode etc.

If they do then that could point to a graphics driver problem, but I think it's the media that's probably causing this problem.

You could also download Speccy or HW Monitor to see if it's an overheating issue to be on the safe side.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

It was still happening in safe mode. I can't download Firefox to test. Everytime I try I get "Error file is corrupt" when it starts extracting. I'll try to uninstall all that but not sure if a restore point will help since I couldn't get my computer to restore when this problem showed up. I tried to restore from a earlier date and it just kept failing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Have you tried the Firefox download in Safe Mode ?

That error can sometimes be caused by an AV or scanner such as Windows Defender etc.

Safe mode will isolate AVs etc. but it looks like you have a couple of different problems which could be the result of an infection.

Had you downloaded anything prior to the graphics problem or did it occur following a visit to one of those sites ?

If the FF download still fails in Safe Mode and a clean boot doesn't improve the situation, then it may well be prudent to open a new thread in the Virus & Trojan section after reading https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...lp-305963.html

They use much more robust tools and don't just rely on one or two to do the job.

If there's anything you are unable to do for whatever reason, then say so in your opening post and they'll keep you right.

It's a busy section but if your thread hasn't been picked up within 72hrs, then give it a Bump by posting that one word.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Those browser shots look fairly typical of a side effect some have had from installing A platform update is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - affecting users with older ATI (HD3xxx/4xxx) cards and IGPs and laptops with hybrid graphics systems because of the changes in D2D/D3D files.

If you do have an affected card/IGP, I'd uninstall IE10 and KB2670838 and test for a few days.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

If you do uninstall IE10, be aware that it may revert you to the 64bit version of IE that you upgraded from and that Shockwave and Silverlight only work in IE 32bit versions.

You will be able to check this either by right clicking on the IE icon in the Taskbar or via Tools/About IE.

The workaround for this is to unpin the IE icon from the Taskbar then via All Programs - select just Internet Explorer and pin that to the Taskbar.

Just as another quick check for infections as you also have a download problem, would be to manually run Windows Malicious Removal Tool and you can do this by typing mrt.exe from Start > Enter and follow the prompts.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrow View Post
Those browser shots look fairly typical of a side effect some have had from installing A platform update is available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - affecting users with older ATI (HD3xxx/4xxx) cards and IGPs and laptops with hybrid graphics systems because of the changes in D2D/D3D files.

If you do have an affected card/IGP, I'd uninstall IE10 and KB2670838 and test for a few days.
Tried uninstalling IE10 and the update. Didn't change anything. I also tried a Clean Boot and it even worse than before. I tried the mrt.exe but it came up negative. I don't know what else I can do at this point.

I noticed the graphical problems started happening right after the KB2670838 and IE10 update. I thought that might have been the cause but after I uninstalled them the problem persists.

Should I try my luck with the anti-virus forum or do any of you two have any other ideas?
Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Update.

I was able to download Firefox after the Clean Boot and install it. It seems to work 100% but chrome is still having issues and so is Steam. But Steam is much improved. Everything looks normal in Steam but I can't click certain things(they just won't do anything when I click them).
Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Do you have a Restore Point from before the IE10 install?

If the KB was the trigger for this, I'm pretty sure a refresh/repair install of W7 SP1 would fix it.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

It will be a bit of a chew but you could try following through with the rest of the clean boot procedure to see if you can ID either what is degrading Steam or uninstalling/reinstalling Firefox.

As you've seen some improvement with the clean boot - how were then things worse after it - also how is Dota II now performing ?

You mentioned earlier that the restore points were failing - it's worth trying that again as satrow has suggested as some headway seems to have been made.

Windows will have auto created a restore point prior to installing IE10.

As you are now able to download, can you try downloading your graphic/chipset drivers again as sometimes Windows Updates can disrupt video and audio drivers.

I'm not sure if a sfc /scannow or Event Viewer would report anything significant, but running one and checking the other may or not show up something.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

I can't check Dota 2 since for some reason the Steam client update for Dota 2 is stuck at 7% and won't continue downloading. I get an error when I try to play saying connection time out. Maybe something is turned off that handles the Steam downloading.

Also, my restore points don't seem to go back far enough. I guess I had the setting for system restore too low. I don't even know where to change that. I'm thinking of just reformatting my drive at this point to fix it.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

The reinstall may be the quickest way to resolve this and then you will need to decide if you want to upgrade to IE10 again.

To increase the size for your restore points, click on the Configure button just above the Create button in the restore window then use the slider to increase the memory.

I have mine set to about 15GB (5%), but I think it defaults to about 10GB and you can set this up after the reinstall.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. I'm just going to do the reinstall. I been wanting to get a SSD anyway.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Hope things go well for you with that and you can update this thread when all is well again.
Closed Thread