Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Volume Shadow Copy

This is a discussion on Volume Shadow Copy within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Having problems with VSC - Volume Shadow Copy in Windows 7 Ultimate. Receive message ("Windows could not start the Volume

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Having problems with VSC - Volume Shadow Copy in Windows 7 Ultimate. Receive message ("Windows could not start the Volume Shadow Copy service on Local Computer. Error3: The system cannot find the path specified.) Also my backup and restore will not work. Generally the same message. Cannot pinpoint when this started but was probably after installing updates to windows 7. 5/15/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Go to Start > Search then type vssvc.exe it should be found in C:\Windows\System32 folder, if it is found in some other location, copy and paste it into the System32 folder, see if the error is resolved.

Also check that the volume shadow service is running, and set to Automatic. To check that the service is running, in the search box, type compmgmt.msc , once in Computer Management go down to Services then check the Volume Shadow service.

If it is not found at all, go back to Start > Search at type cmd.exe right click on it, then choose Run as Administrator, in the command prompt type sfc /scannow this will restore any missing or corrupt system files.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Please run a full CHKDSK and SFC scan....
Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right-click on the Command Prompt entry
Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up.
At the Command prompt, type
CHKDSK C: /R
and hit the Enter key.
You will be told that the drive is locked, and the CHKDSK will run at he next boot - hit the Y key, and then reboot.
The chkdsk will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive, so be patient!
After the CHKDSK has run, Windows should boot normally (possibly after a second auto-reboot) - then run the SFC.

SFC -System File Checker - Instructions
Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories
Right-click on the Command Prompt entry
Select Run as Administrator and accept the UAC prompt - the Elevated Command Prompt window should pop up.
At the Command prompt, type
SFC /SCANNOW
and hit the Enter key
Wait for the scan to finish - make a note of any error messages - and then reboot.
Upload the CBS.log file (compressed, please!) to your reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 02:52 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, yes always helpful to have run sfc, I note you mention "cannot find the path specified", we need to see what this is:-

Go to start search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS" > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) please copy paste the notepad outcome here.

Have you run any registry optimizer's\cleaners lately?
Old 05-18-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Windows could not start the Volume Shadow Copy service on Local Computer. Error3
Go to Start/Search and type services.msc and press enter. Scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy and double click it. Make the start up type Automatic and Start the Service.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It's very unlikely that any actions in the Services panel will affect a System Error 3 problem, as it indicates that the system cannot find at least one of the files referenced.
This means that either
1) the file is missing, moved, or corrupted
2) the system is pointing to the wrong place
or
3) permissions for the file are incorrect - or the proper User is not attempting to open the files.

None of these problems can be either identified or corrected using services.msc
Old 05-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, more importantly the default for this service is manual start, it should be left this way.