Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Vista won't boot/LogonUI.exe - Bad Image error

This is a discussion on Vista won't boot/LogonUI.exe - Bad Image error within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have Windows Vista 64b, service pack 2. When I go to start up my laptop I get this error

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Troubled

I have Windows Vista 64b, service pack 2. When I go to start up my laptop I get this error message:

"LogonUI.exe - Bad Image

C:\Windows\system32\xmllite.dll is not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or software vendor for support."

I click okay, and it's just a black/blank screen after that. I mean, I can see the cursor, but that's it. And it doesn't do anything.

I WANT TO MAKE IT ABUNDANTLY CLEAR THAT I CANNOT GET TO MY DESKTOP. I am presently using a friend's computer. My computer cannot get to the desktop. Once the error message shows up, and you click "okay" that's it. It does nothing else.

I can't get into safe mode. Period. The only way I can get to the command prompt is through the F8>Repair Your Computer>Command Prompt way. And when I try to do the "sfc/scannow" thing, it tells me that I can't do it because I have a pending system repair. Most likely that means that it can't do the scan now function while in the "Repair Your Computer" mode.

I've tried doing several system restores, but with no success. I get this error message:

"System restore did not complete successfully. Your system files and settings have not been changed

Details

System restore failed due to an unspecified error. The file could not be completed transactionally, because its identity depends on the outcome of an unresolved transaction. (0x80071AA7)"

I searched the error code, and found on another forum that my antivirus my be stopping the system restore. Is there any way to disable my

I have not tried "Last Known Good Configuration" or restoring to factory settings because there are a few important files I'd like to save. Once I rescue those files, and back them up, I plan to install a different OS possibly Ubuntu.

Like I said, I really would like to keep my files, just long enough to back them up. Then I would have no problem with going back to factory settings.

I don't know what started this, I just turned on my computer one day, after having it turned off for three, and that was the error message I got.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Troubled

Bump.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

have you tried running the following commend from a cmd prompt on the disc for W7??

Quote:
sfc /scannow
and seeing if that helps?

also tryi running repair tools on the disc.

if that doesnt work you can boot a linux live disc, and replace the files with a clean logonui.exe and then boot back into windows...

you can also uses UBCD or UBCD4win to achieve this too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, since you can access the RE "repair your computer" try the startup repair option sometimes it is necessary to run this several times (we try 3) and see if it repairs.

Now if this fails you can run chkdsk and sfc (offline) Please follow these instructions (important) I would first try sfc:-

Running chkdsk/Sfc within the RE (recovery environment)
First determine what Drive the OS has been assigned by the RE

At command prompt (x: sources) type:-
bcdedit | find “osdevice” (Must inc”) (press enter).

Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS assume C:

At the x sources type:- chkdsk c:/r (press enter), 5 stages of chkdsk will run.
can take awhile.

To run sfc/scannow
at the x: sources type:-
sfc/scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (press enter)
sfc will run can take awhile
Old 07-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixedcat View Post
have you tried running the following commend from a cmd prompt on the disc for W7??

and seeing if that helps?

also tryi running repair tools on the disc.

if that doesnt work you can boot a linux live disc, and replace the files with a clean logonui.exe and then boot back into windows...

you can also uses UBCD or UBCD4win to achieve this too.
I have tried using sfc/scannow in the command prompt, but the only way I can access it is via the "repair your computer" route, in which, once I enter in "sfc/scannow," it tells me that it cannot complete that function because there is a system repair pending.

And it's Vista. And I don't have the OS disc. It came preloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, since you can access the RE "repair your computer" try the startup repair option sometimes it is necessary to run this several times (we try 3) and see if it repairs.

Now if this fails you can run chkdsk and sfc (offline) Please follow these instructions (important) I would first try sfc:-

Running chkdsk/Sfc within the RE (recovery environment)
First determine what Drive the OS has been assigned by the RE

At command prompt (x: sources) type:-
bcdedit | find “osdevice” (Must inc”) (press enter).

Now use the returned as the drive letter for OS assume C:

At the x sources type:- chkdsk c:/r (press enter), 5 stages of chkdsk will run.
can take awhile.

To run sfc/scannow
at the x: sources type:-
sfc/scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (press enter)
sfc will run can take awhile
I have tried the startup repair, and it found nothing. I have tried this several times, and nothing.

As far as the command prompt goes, the only way I can access it is through the "repair your computer" route. Like I mentioned, it gives me some error message saying that it can't complete the function because there is a pending system repair. I assume it means that because I'm in the "repair your computer" mode that I'm making a system repair....

But I'll give the other bit a try...
Closed Thread