Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Vista Stuck in Update Loop

This is a discussion on Vista Stuck in Update Loop within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Last night a windows automatic update failed and the result is my laptop is stuck in an update loop.

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #1

Hi

Last night a windows automatic update failed and the result is my laptop is stuck in an update loop. It just keeps going to "now installing 3 of 3" and then restarting.

I tried safe mode. No go, because the update is prior to the OS running.

I tried (from the same menu as safe mode) to revert to an earlier working point and it just went into the update loop.

I tried using an OEM Vista disc and using repair and it only repaired the startup, which did not fix the problem.

I am at a total loss for how to proceed. Normally I would just wipe it and start over, but my wife downloaded 1yrs worth of our babies videos and didn't back them up. I cannot afford to lose those. Everything else can go. They are right there on the desktop, but I can't access it.

So, where to next? Is there a way to get windows to use a previous restore point somehow? Could I buy an upgrade disc, say for Ultimate, and install it without losing personal data? I know I have done that in the past with XP installs. I actually have 2 partitions and could theoretically install Vista onto the other partition and leave the original Vista OS partition, then just delete all the files.

I'm so lost as to how to proceed. Obviously I'd rather just use an old restore point from a month ago and call it a day. But how?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 05:24 AM   #2

I have the same problem as you! The updates are the problem I have a toshiba laptop with vista ( hate it ) but I tried safe mode too no go then tried my dics lost for words . It appears the only way is to start clean. I have it now being looked into by a pro, he said he can save all my files I am yet to wait on he call .My prob was when installing 3 of 3 it got to a point it stopped at 37% wouldnt go any further, before that system repair got me in , but now no go.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #3

Angry

Sad to say that I dont like vista. I have had problems since I got it unfortunatley it was on my system when it was brought. I have had a lot of hassles with the window updates when trying to install 3 of 3 it was taking ages to install, then eventually system repair came in and tried to fix, which this worked for a while. now when I start up the updtaes take over and only installs up to 37% then stops , now I cant get anywhere . It appears that the updates are in a loop now I cant get anywhere. So I have ome to the conclusion to start over again shame though . I feel what if this happens again. Would love to go back to xp but have heard its hard to go back , there is a lot of bugs in the system . Anyone have ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #4

My solution worked quite well.

I ran an OEM disc. When I selected to repair it, it ran startup repair which I then cancelled. When you cancel it there is an option on the bottom left of the dialog box which gives you a list of other options. One of which is to utilize a previous restore point. I went back 2 days and voila.

I haven't installed the update again, I'm a bit nervous about it.

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, you are not the only one MS need to fix this:-
https://www.techsupportforum.com/micr...-computer.html