Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Vista- noting but ACCESS DENIED

This is a discussion on Vista- noting but ACCESS DENIED within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Danny here and thanks for letting me join your forum. Here is my problem.I have been using vista for

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #1

Hello
Danny here and thanks for letting me join your forum. Here is my problem.I have been using vista for about a year and three days ago it removes my admin account and swaps My account to just a regular user. Which now I have no control over my vista os. Any time I try to log in as admin, or add software or remove software its says ACCESS DENIED. No matter what I do I get a box that asks for the admins password(never has been one) But there is no where to even put a pw in.Its greyed out and the ďokĒ button is greyed out also. So to me itís a catch22. The UAC on this vista os cannot be turned off. I have even sent this same note to Microsoft and to other tech folks and they all seem stumped. Any help I could get here would be great. Please.Thanks in advance.
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #2

You could use a Emergency Recovery Disk to boot so that you can regain access and get it set back up the way you want. Not sure of a good free one off hand since my work gives me access to one for free, but im sure a quick google/bing search would yield positive results.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #3

Hey thanks for the reply. I have tried recovery, on the machine and from the disks I made when i Purchased it. No matter what I do, I get the UAC box asking for a password.There is no pass word, and If I had one , there is no place at all to put it.that area on the box is greyed out. Is this a common prob with vista? I have actually had the geek squad come to my haouse and they are stumped. Helppppp hahaha.
Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #4

Is it greyed out even after typing in a Username? Regardless the recovery cds that come with computers more than likely are not the same as what I am talking about. An Emergency Recovery Disk is a tool that will let you boot to the CD and then change any passwords on the computer. Its not like a system restore or anything like that. Also, since this seems to have happened recently have you dont any virus scans or anything since this happeneed?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #5

Correct. I have emergency disks i made, I have one acomp tech at work made and no matter what I try and do, I get the UAC box asking me for a password, the admin password to be exact.There isnt one, and the box where you would put in the pw,is not accessable, in fact the only thig that is accessable is the word Cancel.there is no other option. I have virus scanned,mal scanned, done every scan imaginable,No visruses or mal ware or anything.I cannot even install a game to play now,thats how locked out I am. i can surf the net,email, but I have absolutely no admin rights.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #6

right click on my computer and go to manage. Go to Local Users and Groups. Go to Groups. double click on Administrators. What accoutns are listed in this Group. Also go back to the users folder and list what users are there and note if they are disabled or not.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #7

Ok i did that....and as soon as I right click on my computor and hit manage....Iget that
UAC box. Im tellin ya...Im so frustrated. This machine will not let me check,change or manage anything. i did it twice just to make sure..and it just wont let me. This is what stumped the geek squad on monday..i mean they tried everything and everything..they couldnt access any manage or admin rights.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:54 AM   #8

Still think creating a Live Boot Cd that you can use to change the passwords is probably going to be your best bet.

Try searching for Backtrack or Ultimate Boot CD. I believe those are both free versions you can download and burn to a cd. Hopefully you will be able to do that without running into the UAC problems, but if so you may just have to do it on another computer. Then put that cd into your computer and reboot and boot to the cd. Do you know how to make it boot to a cd?

Once you are booted to that CD you will be able change permissions, passwords, etc. on your vista without the UAC getting in your way.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 AM   #9

another thing... which likely wont work, but may want to try to boot into safe mode and dork around with things that way.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #10

Ok..i did download the ultimate boot cd..and one other on my daughters computor, burned them to a disk and poped it in my cd drawer and no matter if I try to tell the comp to boot off of the cd, it just bypasses it and boots normal. I have spent countless hours searching for a boot cd, Ive downloaded the vista repair iso, NOTHIN will let me in.
I do appreciate your time and effort, but I will be amazed if anyone can come up with a solution. I even spent an hour on with HP support today, and we tried a thousand tries,without success. Thanks all again.
Danny
Old 01-29-2010, 08:10 AM   #11

Have you tried using the cd to boot on another computer to verify that its not the cd? Could be the cd just wasn't burned correctly. What did you use to burn the cd?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #12

If all else fails... seeing how much time you have already spent troubleshooting this. may save you time and more headaches by just reformating your computer. That is of course if you dont have to much stuff that you would potentially lose by doing this. I try to reformat my computers about every 6 months.

There is definitely a solution to this problem... its just a matter of nailing down what exactly it is. :)
Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 AM   #13

yes..either cd boots fine on my daughters comp. And I have tried to start the reformating process...and guess what? Yep..its shuts me out. Hey thanks for your time...If I find a soulution I will post it here and about 10more forums ive been searching through.I used nero to burn one cd and I used cyberlink to burn the other. Take care all.
Danny
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

No, this is not a common problem in Vista.

1. The DVDs that you burned -- did you do so using the recovery software provided by the system manufacturer (came pre-installed on your system)?
2. Are you sure you booted from the DVD into Recovery and re-installed Vista?
3. You also booted into the recovery partition and re-installed the OS?
4. What happens when you boot into safemode?
5. How long ago did this happen?
6. When was the last time your re-installed the OS?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #15

1. Yes
2.No
3.No
4.The system will go into safe mode but it still asks for the admin password.(reference other of my posts up top)
5. About 3-4 days ago
6.never. never had to..its been workin just fine up untill then.
Thanks
Danny
Old 01-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #16

Well I think im done for today.....I did just get off the phone with two computor peeps at egghead....In n.c. and they are stumped as well...It seems I may be the first to have had this happen..So....time for a red stripe..or two..thanks all.
Danny
Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #17
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, I am surprised you say other tech's have been stumped by this? You indicate you can boot into the account that is now considered a "standard" account, and this was formally a admin account? If so:-

Boot into the standard account and go to start, all programs, accessories, and right click on command prompt select "run as administrator" agree to the UAC prompt. At the prompt type:-

Code:
control userpasswords2  press enter
Uncheck the box that says :-

"users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" click OK.

Now go back to your command prompt (still as administrator) and type:-

Code:
net localgroup administrators <my_user> /add
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice
press enter then type:
net localgroup Administrators /add localservice
press enter then type:
Exit, press enter and reboot your computer.
Note:- The first command refers to your user name (for eg mine is paul) so for me the command will look like this:-

Code:
net localgroup administrators paul /add
If this fails we will boot again into the standard account open a command prompt (as administrator) and invoke the hidden admin account. If the above fails post back and I will show you how, this is fixable.