Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Vista Install "Can't format"

This is a discussion on Vista Install "Can't format" within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have, probably, a rather unique situation. My motherboard is an Abit AV8 Third Eye with two 500GB drives on

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #1

I have, probably, a rather unique situation. My motherboard is an Abit AV8 Third Eye with two 500GB drives on it. I also have 2 320GB drives on a Sil3114 PCI SATA card. My partition layout is as follows.

Code:
320GB
---> 32MB /boot (primary)
---> 215GB Windows XP (primary)
---> 104GB Windows Vista/7 (primary)
---> 1GB Linux Swap (primary)

320GB
---> 40GB Arch Linux (primary)
---> 40GB Ubuntu (primary)
---> 40GB OS test (primary)
---> 200GB /home (primary)

500GB
---> NTFS Storage (primary)

500GB
---> NTFS Storage (primary)
All of the partitions are layed out and Windows XP is already installed. When I go to install Vista (or 7, same error) I load the Sil3114 drivers from USB, then try to format the 100GB Vista partition and it says "can't format partition" with the error code 0x80070057. If I try to install to the partition without formatting it just says it can't copy the data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: By the way, I can't switch the 320's to the motherboard controller (which would probably simplify this), because my Samsung HD322HJ drives don't work with the VIA controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #2

I don't like to reply to myself, but I seem to have lost the edit button...

Anyway, if I manually format the partition as NTFS (with gparted) the install fails saying "cannot copy files." I suppose the drivers could be bad, but the same ones work for XP and say they also support Vista. Vista recognizes the driver (as unsigned) and sees the HD with it (obviously). I acquired them from the link in the first post.
Closed Thread