Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Vista has stopped reading SD Card

This is a discussion on Vista has stopped reading SD Card within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have two cameras, two SD Cards, and two notebooks. I donít take that many photos so I donít need

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

I have two cameras, two SD Cards, and two notebooks. I donít take that many photos so I donít need to transfer photos to my computer very often. I have been using the same equipment for a while now, without any hiccups.

During the holidays, I took quite a few photos. When I tried to transfer the photos to my computer by inserting the SD card in the card slot, a dialogue box popped up asking me to format the card. It had never happened before. Every time I used to insert the card, autoplay dialogue box used to pop up. I removed the card and tried it again. Same result; dialogue box asking me to format it. I tried it in the other notebook, also running Vista Home Premium SP1 with autoupdate. Same thing happened. I tried the other SD card which still had some old photos and had worked fine in both computers earlier. That card failed in both machines too.

Both cards work fine in the cameras. Both cards used to work fine in my notebooks. Is it possible that a recent update has caused this failure? Is there a solution?

Both computers are on Vista Home Premium 32-bit with SP1 and set to automatic updates. Both computers have Norton Internet Security 2008. SD cards are:

- 128MB Kodak
- 2GB Patriot Memory

Both cameras are Kodak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Moderator, Design Team

My System

Try updating or re-installing the card reader's drivers - if you can find the card reader's make and model, go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers.
You may find the make and model through the Device Manager: Start > Computer > System Properties (in menu bar at top) > Disc drives. Sometimes they are just listed as Generic card reader or Generic USB device. R click on the SD reader and go to Properties > Update driver software > search automatically for driver software.
Alternatively you can download and install Everest Home Edition and use it to find the make and model of your card reader (hopefully) and go to the manufacturer's website to get drivers.
Have you a friend with a card reader that you could try your cards in to see if they work or have become corrupted?

[CENTER]Audacity
Irfan View GSpot

Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, if you cancel that dialogue box then the device will most likely work. There are increasingly problems the original SD cards had capacity of 2-4 gb Now SDHC cards have pushed this to 32gb. They are supposed to be backwards compatible, however enter the Norton's and others and the problem compounds. Try turning off the Norton Firewall and activating windows firewall instead. Me, No Norton AV product resides on any home users computer that we look after.