User Tag List

User Name Change

This is a discussion on User Name Change within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. In my area, Goodwill sells refurbished computers, and I purchased one. The standard practice of Good Will is to create

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

In my area, Goodwill sells refurbished computers, and I purchased one. The standard practice of Good Will is to create the default user of the computer. In that regard, there is a locked symbol on that account. And I discovered this Naming after I installed all of the Programs on the computer. I need the default user name changed to my choosing because this default name populates all the fields of nomenclature in all installed programs--some of which have to be changed each time. Is there a way to change the name of the locked default user on my computer? Thanks for any help WilbertC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF you should really speak to goodwill and have them fix the name issue

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello Joe, and thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestion, and reply later if the case is not resolved. Again, thanks for now. Wilbert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Your welcome they really should have sorted that out prior to them giving you the machine, and please do let us know how it goes

Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hello Joeten, Sure will let you know. It may be a few days because I have to go over to the store. I am in a Masters class right now, and my back is to the wall with work to be submitted, that I have yet to complete. I will post back later, maybe Monday, due to the deadlines of tomorrow at 6, and Sunday midnight CST. Again, thanks. Wilbert
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If the default user that you use to log into is an Administrator, then in that account you are logged in, go to Start/Control Panel/Users and create your own user account with Admin rights. Log out of the user you are in and log in as the new user.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Why can't I get the valued customer off of my computer? If I can, does it mean reloading all the software again? I don't want that valued customer on the system and don't think that I should be going through any hoops. I tried that second method that you describe, but want the computer to load-up and open when the computer is turned on. Wilbert.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi you can use the hidden admin account to make changes Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, when you first install windows it will allocate a user name (usually of your choosing) this is known as the registered owner, you might also have a registered organisation, this name will populate user accounts etc,,, If this is what you are referring to please go to start search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select run as administrator at the prompt copy paste:-

Code:
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" > 0 & notepad 0
press enter

Please post the notepad outcome here, should show the registered owner and registered organisation( if relevant) you need to modify these entries to your preferred user.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

If you have created a new user as suggested in Post #6 and you want to automatically login as this user without typing in a password, or to remove the Goodwill user,Login as the new user, go to Start/Search and type netplwiz Right click the netplwiz icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. Uncheck Users Must enter a User name and password to use this computer. click Apply. You will be asked for your password, or leave it blank if you did not set one. Restart and you will automatically log in without prompt of a password. If you want to totally remove the account, go to C:\Users\[goddwillusername] and copy any of the files you want to keep, and paste them into your new profile.
Go back to netplwiz and highlight the account you want to remove and press the Remove button. Then go into Control Panel/Users and also delete that account there as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #11
Registered Member

Hello Mr Spunk.Funk, I will try your suggestion, especially with the additional information that you provided in the post that I am now responding to. A few questions regarding the delete Goodwill Name account. Will the programs that I installed and the few programs Goodwill installed have to have any special attention to? Wilbert C.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi there are a few ways to do this see here Built-in Administrator Account - Change Name - Windows 7 Forums

Closed Thread