Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

USB ports don't work for some devices

This is a discussion on USB ports don't work for some devices within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer won't recognize somethings, like flash drives, mp3 players and my phones when I plug them into the USB

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #1

Cry

My computer won't recognize somethings, like flash drives, mp3 players and my phones when I plug them into the USB port. It will work with my web cam and camera though, what can I do?
When I first got the computer (right after xp came out), my printer worked through the USB and then stopped. Gateway said it is not my drivers because it works with somethings, am I out of luck?
Please help, I don't know what else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi i would try uninstalling all the usb drivers reboot and windows should reinstall and see how things work
Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 AM   #3

Thanx for responding, I have done that several times. I don't understand why some devices will work and others won't. I can't get help from Gateway because they say it is not the Hardware that it is the product and their software, but I don't see how "several" products are defective at the same time, I can understand one but I have replaced products several time, bought new USB cords, and tried all I can think of.
When they are plugged in, it recognizes something is plugged in but then says it doesn't recognize it, "unknown device". But these same devices will work on my lap top that also has Vista.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

If XP, do you have SP2 or SP3 installed on this rig? With Vista, that would be SP1. If not, you need to install that.

It might be recognizing those items that take USB and not recognizing those that take USB 2.0.

Check in the device manager (start, control panel, system, hardware, device manager, USB area) and see if there are any red or yellow marks in there. If so, what are they?

Do you have a word someplace in that area that says "Enhanced." If so, then let us know.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #5

Smile

Okay, so I opened up the device manager and this is what I have listed for my USB devices:
- Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
- Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
- Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
- Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
- Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Universal Host Controller - 27CC
- Unknown Device
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub

This may show my computer "intelligence" but I don't know what the SP2 or SP3 is
I also don't see any marks of any color, would they be in the same area that I got this information??
Thank you so much for helping and putting up with my poor knowledge of this stuff. I really appreciate it.

I also noticed in my first post that I put XP, but I actually have Vista. That was a mis-type, started in my brain. ha hah
Old 03-01-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi what tumbleweed36 was asking was regarding service packs in your case that would be service pack 1 for vista do you have it installed on your system
Old 03-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #7

Thank you for clarifying that, I really appreciate it. Again my intelligence is going to shine, I don't know how to check to see if it has been downloaded, but I am going to come to the conclusion that it hasn't because I have not done it, so how would I go about doing that?
It was also mentioned SP2, would I need both service packs?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

SP2 and possibly SP3 would only be for XP. Vista only has SP1 at this time. Have you gone to the one that says enhanced and right clicked and selected "update driver?"
Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #9

I tried to update the driver for the Enhanced USB and it says I already have the best software for it.
So then I searched for the SP1 and I found it, but before I started to Download it, it said "Do Not Download if you are just updating one computer", that there is a smaller more appropriate one. I went there and it basically just told me to install the updates as they show up. Is there a way I can check if I already have the SP1, or is it ok to download the other one that I know is the SP1 for sure?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi i would take the sp1 full dl
Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #11

Well Guys, I appreciate the help, but I think I am out of luck, I just don't understand it. I can plug a new mouse in and it works, but if I put an MP3 player or Flash Drive it says that the device malfunctioned and it can't recognize it.
I did the full download of SP1. If you have any other ideas that would be great, otherwise thanx for the help
Old 03-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi i found this on another forum (click on manual specify location and point it to c:\windows\system32 and check the 'search subfolders' checkbox.
Seems to be a Vista bug...)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #13

ok, this may sound dumb, but where/when do I click on "manual, specify location"? Is this when it says unknown device?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi look here scroll to post eight https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-d0a445777e59/
Old 03-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #15

thanx for the help, I have posted some questions over there and I figured out what you were talking about, when I tried updating the device with pointing it to c:\windows\system32, it said that all drivers for this device are up to date and the best for it, yet it says there are no drivers installed for it. So I found in this thread where it said to try pointing it to C:\WINDOWS\WINSXS so I tried this as well and I got the same answers. It seemed to work for alot of people with the same issue, so I am either doing it wrong, or I am out of luck.
I really do appreciate all of the help you have given me, thank you soo soo much. :razz:
Old 03-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #16
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

hi i found this from a previous thread it might be worth a shot --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in the device manager click on view at the top and in the dropdown
show hidden devices
then uninstall all listed usb items
turn the computer off
unplug usb plugs
reboot twice
replug in the usb plugs