Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

USB Ports are recognized, but when I plug antything into them, nothing happens.

This is a discussion on USB Ports are recognized, but when I plug antything into them, nothing happens. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-411wm with 64 bit Windows 7 installed. All the usb ports are recognized in the

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-411wm with 64 bit Windows 7 installed. All the usb ports are recognized in the device manager, but if I plug anything into any of the ports, nothing happens, not even a light blinking. Here is a list of things I have already tried:

-Uninstalling all the drivers in the device manager
-Updating the drivers from device manager
-Unplugging ac adapter + battery and holding down the power button for 30-60 seconds
-Going into the BIOS and seeing if the USB ports are disabled ** (see note below)
-Using different mice, thumb drives, external hard drives, etc.
-Asking the laptop nicely to make its USB ports work

If anyone has any idea how to fix this I would be soooooo grateful. I've been trying to fix this problem for over a month and I just could not find anything that would work. I am pretty tech-savvy so if any of your ideas have anything to do with opening up the laptop or soldering I am all ears. Everything else on the laptop is working fine.

** I have Insyde H20 version f.13 and there is no Advanced option so I don't know how I would be able to see if the USB ports are enabled or disabled. Any help on this would also be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

Did they ever work?

If they did, do a system restore to before they stopped working and test.

You say you updated the drivers in device manager, I assume you got them from HP's website
Software & Driver Downloads Compaq Presario CQ61-411WM Notebook PC | HP® Support

I work about 60 hours a week and spend the rest of my time with Family and a couple of online communities, so please be patient when waiting for a reply
Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

I tried what you said, but the usb ports still dont respond to anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

I know you said you have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers but, lets do it again a little differently.

Uninstall them from device manager, then shut down the computer completely.
Disconnect the power cable, let sit off for a minute or two.

Plug it back in and power up, windows should reinstall your USB drivers, then test you device

Have your Motherboard driver CD available if you have one

I work about 60 hours a week and spend the rest of my time with Family and a couple of online communities, so please be patient when waiting for a reply
Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, worth a shot from Tomshawks post. If no joy go to start, search and type:- folder, (press enter), open view and put a check in "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protrcted operating system files... Apply and OK out (do not forget to undo this later). Go to start search and type:- %systemroot%\inf (press enter) scroll to you find usbstor.pnf and usbstor.inf do you find them here?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Jenae,
I did what you said, and yes, there is a usbstor.inf file there. Also, I did some more researching, and I found out that there could be a problem with my motherboard. I would rather not spend 200 dollars replacing the MB, when it could be possible to fix it myself. If there is a problem with my MB, then why doesnt my device manager recognize it? I'm still open to any and all suggestions.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, how about usbstor.pnf? You could try to reinstall your MB chipset drivers, go to the manufacturers web site and get the latest.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

Yes, the is a usbstor.pnf file. I have already tried updating the chipset drivers from the manufacturers website.
Closed Thread