Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Upgrade of Windows7

This is a discussion on Upgrade of Windows7 within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Originally Posted by joeten Windows Defender is more than adequate and is less problem prone than any third party antivirus

Like Tree28Likes
Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #81
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Windows Defender is more than adequate and is less problem prone than any third party antivirus they are simply not needed, I have been using the various versions of Defender for a good number of years and have not had a problem, prior to that I used many different antivirus and eventually they either caused issues or became resource hogs.

Thanks for letting me know, Joeten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #82
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Yes WD is more than enough and not like WD in Windows 7. In Window 8 and 10 WD is a full AntiMalware/Antivirus way more capable of protecting you than Bit Defender is,
without dragging the system down as any Av would.
Songbird_2016 likes this.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #83
Registered Member

Is WD automatically activated in Win 10 or is there some activation process required? The OS of the laptop I purchased is Win 10 Home (not Pro).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #84
Registered Member

Btw, in regard to MS Office ..... Office 2016 wasn't available. They were asking for an additional $150 for Office 2019. Since I don't use Office regularly, I didn't opt for it and will have the old version 2010 installed. As someone has mentioned here earlier, Office 2010 has MS support only until Oct. 2020. So .... is it necessary to uninstall after that deadline ... or is it okay to have it (for some time at least) without updates. Like I said, I don't use this application too often .. and 2010 as its now seems to be sufficient for my document-typing needs.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #85
Windows Tech Team

My System

Windows Security (I no longer call it Windows Defender since Microsoft has rebranded it since it's now a full-featured security suite) is automatically active on any Windows 10 computer unless a third party replacement were to be installed. And, if the third party replacement were to be uninstalled, Windows Defender will be reactivated to take over as soon as it is.

You can use Office 2010 for as long as you like, as far as I'm concerned. If you're not using Outlook at all, and only create your own Office documents or deal with ones that come to you from trustworthy sources you could continue being OK for many years.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
Windows Security (I no longer call it Windows Defender since Microsoft has rebranded it since it's now a full-featured security suite) is automatically active on any Windows 10 computer unless a third party replacement were to be installed. And, if the third party replacement were to be uninstalled, Windows Defender will be reactivated to take over as soon as it is.

You can use Office 2010 for as long as you like, as far as I'm concerned. If you're not using Outlook at all, and only create your own Office documents or deal with ones that come to you from trustworthy sources you could continue being OK for many years.
Right ... so I should be okay with these two issues. I won't have the third party replacement installed for sure.

Just one more question here. What browser does Win 10 have? I read in an article that IE 8,9 and 10 have been phased out .. that Win 10 default browser is Microsoft Edge but it's not compatible with many websites. That doesn't sound nice. The also article said "IE 11 is still included in Windows 10 but can be difficult to locate and launch." Though I use Google Chrome and I hope I can continue to do so in Win 10, however, to get started a built-in browser is necessary. Will it be possible for the computer technician who comes to do the setup work to "locate & launch" IE 11?
Old 01-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #87
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You'll have IE11 and a version of Edge that will be replaced shortly (you can download the Beta version of the replacement now). Both IE11 and Edge icons will show up on either the desktop or taskbar. Stop worrying. The tech will explain what you don't understand. Write down the questions you have so you won't forget what to ask.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #88
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
...The tech will explain what you don't understand. Write down the questions you have so you won't forget what to ask.
Yes, I've made a note of the points I need to ask.

Thanks Corday.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #89
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

IE has been somewhat hidden because it is so old it really doesn't render some sites well so I would leave it hidden. Edge does not have that issue but it rejects most common plugins i.e WOT, Adblock Plus etc but that is changing hopefully with redesigned Edge which will show up soon in final version, courtesy of Google Chromium redesign. And just to add on Ms Office 2010 losing support this year doesn't mean you can't use it just that Windows Updates will not be available which from what I see does not make a real noticeable difference.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:05 PM   #90
Windows Tech Team

My System

At this juncture, if anyone is electing to use Edge and is new to Windows 10, I very, very, very strongly suggest that they do not use Edge Original, which is slated to disappear with the first Feature Update of 2020, but even if it doesn't, it will soon.

If you wish to use Edge, then download one of the Microsoft Edge Insider versions, and I recommend the Dev channel: Download Microsoft Edge Insider Channels. I have been using the Dev channel since the Edge Insider options appeared and it has been very, very stable but, at the same time, if there is an issue identified it is generally patched much sooner than the Beta channel. Canary, which updates daily, is a bit too "in flux" for my tastes.

Since Chromium-based Edge is the way of the future, and will be rolled out into Windows 10 in the very near future, that's what one should start playing with, not Edge Original, if you're a new Windows 10 user.

Internet Explorer has been on life support for a long while now, and should be avoided. Many websites where security is a concern will block entry if you're using IE since it has not been kept up to date in that regard, among others.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #91
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

@Songbird_2016, you don't have to use Edge, except for downloading Chrome! Chrome's first run setup wizard will even help you pin it on the taskbar and set it as the default browser.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:08 PM   #92
Windows Tech Team

My System

@Stancestans: Absolutely correct, but if you're a Chrome lover (and I was) it's well worth giving New Edge a try.

I really like Chromium-based browsers, period, but I have come to despise the data-mining and profile building machine that is the Google Chrome browser. I use Brave, myself, as my primary Chromium-based browser and Firefox. I also use New Edge and even Google Chrome, but they're tertiary and quaternary on my list.

I'm under no illusion that anything resembling what used to be known as privacy exists in cyberspace, but I do believe in doing what I can to preserve what I can.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #93
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
IE has been somewhat hidden because it is so old it really doesn't render some sites well so I would leave it hidden. Edge does not have that issue but it rejects most common plugins i.e WOT, Adblock Plus etc but that is changing hopefully with redesigned Edge which will show up soon in final version, courtesy of Google Chromium redesign.
I see. I haven't used IE for quite a long time. But I do recall IE 7 and 8 I used earlier were really bad compared to Chrome. Even Mozilla is better. As for adblocks, despite the irritating ad popups I stopped using them as they did make Win7 very slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
And just to add on Ms Office 2010 losing support this year doesn't mean you can't use it just that Windows Updates will not be available which from what I see does not make a real noticeable difference.
Yes, exactly.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #94
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
@Stancestans: Absolutely correct, but if you're a Chrome lover (and I was) it's well worth giving New Edge a try.

I really like Chromium-based browsers, period, but I have come to despise the data-mining and profile building machine that is the Google Chrome browser. I use Brave, myself, as my primary Chromium-based browser and Firefox. I also use New Edge and even Google Chrome, but they're tertiary and quaternary on my list.

I'm under no illusion that anything resembling what used to be known as privacy exists in cyberspace, but I do believe in doing what I can to preserve what I can.
Yeah, nothing wrong with trying new/other options. Let's not overwhelm our less tech savvy OP with our personal preferences and opinions. I emphasise on giving OP an experience with their new Windows 10 laptop that's as close as possible to their experience with their old laptop, so if Chrome is what they're used to and they have no issues with it, then they ought to know that they still have the option of using Chrome on their new computer like they've always done on the old one. Sadly, a lot of folks who are new to Windows 10 think they MUST use whatever default apps it comes with, which isn't the case.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #95
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
@Songbird_2016, you don't have to use Edge, except for downloading Chrome! Chrome's first run setup wizard will even help you pin it on the taskbar and set it as the default browser.

That's exactly why I was a bit worried, Stancestans. I read a detailed article on CBC the other day on updates stopping on Win.7, browsers IE 8,9,10 no more and Edge & IE 11 having their own problems. I thought how on earth do I download chrome without going through more hassles IF technology starts playing up without an immediate solution?

Microsoft rules are nowadays strange, multiplying problems for users. Was never like this before.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:56 PM   #96
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird_2016 View Post
That's exactly why I was a bit worried, Stancestans. I read a detailed article on CBC the other day on updates stopping on Win.7, browsers IE 8,9,10 no more and Edge & IE 11 having their own problems. I thought how on earth do I download chrome without going through more hassles IF technology starts playing up without an immediate solution?

Microsoft rules are nowadays strange, multiplying problems for users. Was never like this before.
No need to worry, especially since the laptop is going to be set up for you at home, and even if you were to set it up yourself, launching Edge and using it to download Chrome would still be a walk in the park because Edge essentially looks and works just like every other browser and it just takes a quick glance to figure it out and use it.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #97
Registered Member

Quote:

Wow, I'm reading of some browsers I never heard of before like New Edge and Brave. The only ones I've been acquainted with are Chrome and Mozilla. For some reason, probably the small memory of this old laptop, it just wasn't able to handle Mozilla. So I've been using Chrome for over 2 years and I think it's fairly good. My only concern is to have a browser to get started so I can at least download Chrome. I will later also look up those newer browsers you mentioned; it's always a good idea to have one or two alternative browsers.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:24 PM   #98
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird_2016 View Post
Wow, I'm reading of some browsers I never heard of before like New Edge and Brave. The only ones I've been acquainted with are Chrome and Mozilla. For some reason, probably the small memory of this old laptop, it just wasn't able to handle Mozilla. So I've been using Chrome for over 2 years and I think it's fairly good. My only concern is to have a browser to get started so I can at least download Chrome. I will later also look up those newer browsers you mentioned; it's always a good idea to have one or two alternative browsers.
There is no browser called "New Edge". The new Edge that is being talked about is still just Microsoft Edge, but based on the Chromium project, and is still in its beta development stages and will sooner or later replace the Edge browser that comes with Windows 10. This development/beta version is available for download and install if you want to give it an early test run before a stable release version eventually becomes available. I wouldn't be in a rush to try it though. Leave it to folks who know their way about beta-testing. For your daily browsing, stick to Chrome and for a reliable alternative, Mozilla Firefox is a solid choice. Firefox is my daily driver, while Chrome is my alternative. Edge sits untouched for ages on my computers and its shortcuts are one of the first things I remove from a new Windows installation! That's just my preference, though, nothing against Edge. I have clients who primarily use Edge, more or less because its the default browser and they're just not bothered to install anything else. For productivity, you don't need more than two browsers. For exploring new stuff, you can test as many as you want, and believe me there are many!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #99
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Just a note here britetechguy I downloaded and installed Brave the other day because I read it can use Java which I have to have for my brokerage site. I have been using Waterfox as it still runs Java but have been having issues on some websites lately so am reluctant to use it as default but some very odd things happened when I installed Brave so I quickly removed it. My default desktop changed and even disappeared and I began to get some bizarre unexplained freezes so I uninstalled Brave until I can make a current image file and then try again as my whole system felt like I had been "invaded" by something not good!

Old 01-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #100
Windows Tech Team

My System

@Rich-M: Given my experiences with Brave across multiple boxes, it's highly improbable that Brave caused the issue.

Their claim to fame is as a privacy oriented browser. System invasions would not stand them in good stead in their target demographic, that's for sure!
Closed Thread