User Tag List

unwanted popup

This is a discussion on unwanted popup within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. You could try installing uBlockOrigin to Firefox .... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/ This has a facility for you to create a filter to

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #21
Security Team

You could try installing uBlockOrigin to Firefox .... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/

This has a facility for you to create a filter to block unwanted individual web page elements.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/21/ub...e-permanently/

Works most of the time, but is not always effective if the element to be blocked is "uniquely created" at each iteration.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:32 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
You could try installing uBlockOrigin to Firefox .... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/

This has a facility for you to create a filter to block unwanted individual web page elements.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/21/ub...e-permanently/

Works most of the time, but is not always effective if the element to be blocked is "uniquely created" at each iteration.
Thanks but as my understanding is limited the 'fix' might be worse than the problem!
What I don't understand is how 'they' can produce emails (the Oath ads are the same) that overide any ability to be cancelled? I.e. they don't have an 'X' in the corner.

Dave.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #23
Windows Tech Team

My System

It would really, really help to have examples of what's upsetting you so. I work on Windows 10 machines regularly, and none have an endless stream of unwanted pop-ups of any kind and never have.

Something's off here, but without examples (plural), it's very, very difficult to advise on how to fix it.

The initial screen capture clearly suggests a Yahoo based message to me, which has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 07:49 AM   #24
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I agree with that conclusion brittechguy, and I am unsure what issue ublock would cause as I use it and never had any issues.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #25
Security Team

Quote:
Thanks but as my understanding is limited the 'fix' might be worse than the problem!
There's nothing to understand, as BriTechGuy says the pop-up shown in the screenshot in your initial post looks to be one that belongs to Yahoo. It may be a nuisance to you, but I doubt it's malicious.

What uBlockOrigin would allow you to do, is filter out the specific code in Yahoo's web page, that causes that pop-up to be displayed.

Blocking it should not interfere with the functionality of the page, and in any case, if it did, you can remove the filter you've created.

The article I linked you to in my last post describes how to create a filter, and how to remove it as well.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #26
Windows Tech Team

My System

I've used uBlock Origin (and uBlock Origin Extra under Chromium-based browsers) for ages without any issue. I haven't used a web browser without an ad blocker (and uBlock does more than just ad blocking) for longer than I can remember now, and without issue for the most part. There's the odd website that gets really cranky, and when that's the case I just don't use it or, if desperate, visit it using something like Internet Explorer, which I never use for other purposes and has no ad-blocking add-on associated with it on my machine.

All of the above being said, you are not going to be able to block dialog boxes, which is what was shown in that initial screen shot. Whether it's the originating entity's own policies, or secondary to legal dictates (e.g. the GDPR), there are many privacy related settings that will be presented and for which you must make a choice.

Once you do, they virtually never appear again, unless you are someone who runs some sort of cleaner software that wipes all traces of the choices you've made while browsing, which I don't. I use cleaner software, but don't touch my cookies or session settings, as I have no interest in revisiting those and they will be asked about again for the reasons noted above if some record of my initial choice is not retained.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:53 AM   #27
Registered Member

Hi guys and thank you for your efforts. The popup seems to have decreased in frequency in the last day or so and since it seems to be realted to Yahoo and I am stuck with that if I want to keep my BT email address I will have to live with things I guess.

Another thing baffles me? I am sure this popup is related to 'Oath' ads. Now, if I right click on one such ad I do not get the option of putting into the spam folder. How can they do that?

I do not want to post any links to the ads in case you catch 'em!

Dave.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:53 AM   #28
Security Team

You could of course use a client like Thunderbird to access your e-mails, in which case you wouldn't be bothered by any site based pop-ups or ads.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-GB/

Setting up Thunderbird to access BT is a relatively simple task, since the program itself does most of the work.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...erbird-windows
Old 12-31-2019, 05:01 AM   #29
Registered Member

Sorry Garry but I am an awkward cus! I did try an adblocker and I think it worked but then I got a very polite request from www.soundonsound.com that ads were an imprtant part of keeping the magazine running and since it is my favourite audio forum I want them to survive!

As I said, the frequency of the popup has dropped dramatically recently and the ads I just ignore now. What bugs the H out of me is how they are able to get away with it all!

Dave.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:53 AM   #30
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
What I don't understand is how 'they' can produce emails (the Oath ads are the same) that overide any ability to be cancelled?

'They' (Oath) now own Yahoo. Eventually you will have to accept whatever they demand or you will be unable to use their site (Yahoo) at all.

The 'BT' email address you want to retain appears to be @btinternet. something. The rest is cut off, but I'll guess .co.uk or similar. If so, you should be able to use any email client such as Thunderbird mentioned above. But, as with anything, there is a bit of a learning curve to get it configured right. Same with uBlock, AdBlockPlus and others. The new Opera browser has a built in ad blocker that is said to prevent the nags you see on the sound site. Again, there is a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
'They' (Oath) now own Yahoo. Eventually you will have to accept whatever they demand or you will be unable to use their site (Yahoo) at all.

The 'BT' email address you want to retain appears to be @btinternet. something. The rest is cut off, but I'll guess .co.uk or similar. If so, you should be able to use any email client such as Thunderbird mentioned above. But, as with anything, there is a bit of a learning curve to get it configured right. Same with uBlock, AdBlockPlus and others. The new Opera browser has a built in ad blocker that is said to prevent the nags you see on the sound site. Again, there is a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad.
It ends in dot com if that makes any difference? Ok, well I shall continue with 'bt' until or if it gets really sticky then I have a gmail addy I could go onto.

Just REALLY don't like being pushed around!!

Dave.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #32
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
It ends in dot com if that makes any difference? Ok, well I shall continue with 'bt' until or if it gets really sticky then I have a gmail addy I could go onto.

Just REALLY don't like being pushed around!!

Dave.

What we're saying is that you shouldn't have to. Using something like Thunderbird should let you use the same BT email address but with a different interface (screen).
Old 12-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #33
Windows Tech Team

My System

I just don't even get the idea that what has been shown, at least so far, is "pushing around" in any meaningful sense.

You are being given a choice that it's preferable that you, the end user, be aware of and that you make based on current policies.

Just click the OK button or, preferably, the Manage Options link and set your options as you'd like them. The prompt then will not reappear until or unless another update to the same options occurs in the future. They're trying to make you aware of your choices, which is far from a bad thing.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:51 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
I just don't even get the idea that what has been shown, at least so far, is "pushing around" in any meaningful sense.

You are being given a choice that it's preferable that you, the end user, be aware of and that you make based on current policies.

Just click the OK button or, preferably, the Manage Options link and set your options as you'd like them. The prompt then will not reappear until or unless another update to the same options occurs in the future. They're trying to make you aware of your choices, which is far from a bad thing.
Don't think so. The ads have a 'choice' option but none of them are..".****off and never bother me again with your adverts I cannot delete" !

For the popup I simply do not want to enter into dialogue with an organization that does not show its name and credentials.

Dave.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #35
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I found this.

Here's how you can opt out of Yahoo Mail's scanning:

Head over to the Ad Interest Manager page and select “opt out” underneath “Your Advertising Choices.” ...
After you opt out of personalized ads using Yahoo's across the web, click over to “On Yahoo” and then choose opt out yet again.

28 Aug 2018

Old 12-31-2019, 10:33 AM   #36
Windows Tech Team

My System

You have not given a single actual example of what you're talking about. The sole example you've given is of a legitimate dialog box by your service provider.

With regard to ads, you have already been given excellent advice: use an ad blocker such as uBlock Origin or AdBlock Plus. They work. You also have the option of using a privacy-focused and ad-blocking browser such as Brave, which works spectacularly well.

If you won't take the steps that have been necessary for decades now to block ads then please stop complaining about them. I hate them as much as you do, but they are one of the way services that are delivered to you at no cost are funded. You have easy methods that can be employed to avoid dealing with them. Use them or stop complaining. The state of the internet is not going to change barring legislative intervention, and that's not coming anytime soon.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #37
Windows Tech Team

My System

@joeten: The problem being all this does is eliminate personalized ads based on scanning results, it doesn't eliminate ads being presented.

Web browsing without an ad blocker or ad blocking browser means you will, absolutely, positively, unquestionably, be exposed to an endless onslaught of ads. This is particularly true if you access no-hard-currency-cost services or websites of any sort.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #38
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

No argument there, just showing there is info out there which can be of some help.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:54 AM   #39
Windows Tech Team

My System

At this juncture, there really is no additional helpful information that can be offered. We've pretty much covered the available options.

The tools are there, it's up to the end user to use them, or not.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:06 AM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
You have not given a single actual example of what you're talking about. The sole example you've given is of a legitimate dialog box by your service provider.

With regard to ads, you have already been given excellent advice: use an ad blocker such as uBlock Origin or AdBlock Plus. They work. You also have the option of using a privacy-focused and ad-blocking browser such as Brave, which works spectacularly well.

If you won't take the steps that have been necessary for decades now to block ads then please stop complaining about them. I hate them as much as you do, but they are one of the way services that are delivered to you at no cost are funded. You have easy methods that can be employed to avoid dealing with them. Use them or stop complaining. The state of the internet is not going to change barring legislative intervention, and that's not coming anytime soon.
Bit harsh! I am not complaining about ads in genral. Indeed I have already said that I stopped using an adblocker when ask. I understand the need for ads, everything has a cost.

My 'problem' rather than a complaint is that the Oath ads are different in that I cannot delete them and although they sometimes end up in spam, they de not delete from there. I would simply like to know how? (as the lion said in the old joke, "Ok, ok! Just cos you don't know, no need to get umpty")

I have been on the internet for a good ten years and although being a 74yr old TOTAL numpty (valve gitamps are MY forte) I have very little trouble and only use Msoft SE and a sometimes MWBYTs scan.

Can I bid you all a very Happy New Year in advance?

Dave.
Closed Thread