Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Unexpected Shutdown that's NOT "Unexpected."

This is a discussion on Unexpected Shutdown that's NOT "Unexpected." within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an older Dell Inspiron. I think I bought it in 2008. It had Windows Vista originally and I

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an older Dell Inspiron. I think I bought it in 2008. It had Windows Vista originally and I upgraded to Windows 7 in 2013.
Recently, when I click to shut down, it will go to a blue DOS looking screen and then reboot. A message will pop up saying something like "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown." It's a pain because I have to wait until it finishes rebooting and then shut it down again.

To clarify, it doesn't do this every time; maybe once out of every 10 or 12 shutdowns. Usually it shuts down normal. It seems to do the "unexpected shutdown" reboot thing when I'm in a hurry.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Please click this link https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ta-452654.html and do those things and post in that section of the forum and not here please.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Explorer stops responding or runs slow
I have an older laptop with an Intel processor and 4GB of RAM running Vista. I am having issues which seem mainly to be in Internet Explorer and to a lesser extent in other programs as well. There are times when going into Windwos Mail that I get a message at the top of the page that says not...
jackdup Resolved HJT Threads 61 01-03-2015 04:15 PM
UKASH Command prompt Virus help
Hi, I managed to get rid of the original Ukash (cheshire police) virus last year from my computer with help from spyhunter and spybot search and destroy, unfortunately I have encountered a similar virus, this time every safe mode that I log into it gives me a black screen with no toolbars or menus...
DrakeRx Resolved HJT Threads 45 06-08-2013 09:24 AM
i need to know what to do. Is it serious or no.
I found all this through Eventvwr on my PC and I dont know what I can do. Gateway FX 6831 Intel (R) core (TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz 2.80GHz Ram 16.0 GB ATI Radeon HD 5800 Warning 24/10/2012 11:24:21 AM Diagnostics-Performance 102 Boot Performance Monitoring Critical ...
englishmuffin Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 1 10-24-2012 05:19 PM
Vista frequent/multiple BSOD
OS ·Windows Vista 64-bit Service pack 2 · What was original installed OS on system?- Windows Vista 64-bit Service pack 2 · Is the OS an OEM version- pre-installed · Age of system (hardware)- 2009 · Age of OS installation - n/a` · CPU- Intel Penitum Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40 GHZ · Video...
sirjoe27 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 15 12-09-2011 08:54 PM
Unexpected shutdown
I just upgraded from Vista to windows7 but this problem has been occuring long before the upgrade. Twice since the upgrade I've returned to my pc and found a message that stated something like computer has recovered from an unexpected shutdown Attached is the requested information...
oldblush BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 2 06-22-2011 03:01 AM