Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Switch user black screen

This is a discussion on Switch user black screen within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I click the "Switch user" button the screen goes black, & the only way I get it back is

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

When I click the "Switch user" button the screen goes black, & the only way I get it back is to restart. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XP, Windows7-8, Server03, Server08, SBS2008, SBS2011, Server2012

My System

I seem to love clean boot today, LOL

Try booting to windows via a Clean Boot, then try the switch user, does the problem persist? If it works fine, then you know it is a third party application or service causing the problem.

If it doesn't fix the problem, hit the manufacturer of your pc for updated drivers.

Check the event log for errors around the time you tried to switch users.
Open Event Viewer

I work about 60 hours a week and spend the rest of my time with Family and a couple of online communities, so please be patient when waiting for a reply
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Problem not fixed. I'm not sure which drivers to update - I know little about operating systems, software or hardware. Any advice in that regard will be appreciated. Also, in the Event Viewer, I did find errors at the time I switched users, but I don't know what they mean... I've attached a screen shot of the error log... maybe that'll help? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Event Viewer_5.14.13.png
Views:	209
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	125113  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi do you have or have you recently uinstalled \ uninstalled Microsoft security Essentials

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Hi do you have or have you recently uinstalled \ uninstalled Microsoft security Essentials
Sorry for the tardy reply – been away. No I haven’t messed with MSE recently (at least not in the time proximity to the problem… to the best of my memory). I did however perform an ‘Update Drivers’ function from Lenovo, but it made no difference with regard to this problem (though I’ve noticed better performance in other areas). Is it perhaps time to run ‘Repair Disk’? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

BR
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi it won't hurt to try a start up repair or run sfc /scannow
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Help Forums
Startup Repair - Microsoft Windows

Old 05-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks. OK, I ran sfc/scannow (ss attached), and it didn’t find any problems. Should I try the repair disk now, and if so, what do I look for? Thanks again.

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SFC_5.27.13.png
Views:	174
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	125500  
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi I posted the tutorial earlier for both start up repair and sfc this is probably clearer Startup Repair - Windows 7 Help Forums

Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi I posted the tutorial earlier for both start up repair and sfc this is probably clearer Startup Repair - Windows 7 Help Forums
OK, finally got around to running disk repair:
Startup Repair - no problems
System Restore - earliest restore point available was post problem.
Win Complete PC Restore - no backup image (to my knowledge).
Win Memory Diagnostic Tool - no problems.
Command Prompt - I'm outta my league here.
Any other suggestions, or is it perhaps time to break out my recovery disks? I know this is pretty drastic, but is there another option? Thanks.
BR
Old 06-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

benro, do you get this problem when you try to 'log off'? Can you log off from one user and login to another?

I am not sure if the error shown in your attached image 'Microsoft Security Client OOBE' is related to this issue, but you never know. When was the last time you update your anti-virus and run a scan? Same goes for a malware scan?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bowles View Post
benro, do you get this problem when you try to 'log off'? Can you log off from one user and login to another?

I am not sure if the error shown in your attached image 'Microsoft Security Client OOBE' is related to this issue, but you never know. When was the last time you update your anti-virus and run a scan? Same goes for a malware scan?

I see where you are going with this Stephen Bowles. Perhaps a corrupted user profile?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
I see where you are going with this Stephen Bowles. Perhaps a corrupted user profile?
Indeed.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, I get a black screen when I Log off as well, so no, I can’t log on to another user until I restart. I can see however, that the computer is still processing (by the activity light), just no screen. I’m attaching a couple event log screen shots (warning & critical) that correspond to the time of the event – hopefully this will be helpful…? Anti-virus (Webroot) is up to date, and performing an av scan was one of the remedies I tried when the issue first appeared. Thanks again.

BR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E1_6.11.13.png
Views:	165
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	125883   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2_6.11.13.png
Views:	147
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	125884   Click image for larger version

Name:	E3_6.11.13.png
Views:	144
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	125885  

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Registered Member

Hi guys. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Have you used any registry cleaners, optimizers in the past?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

an Event 41 Kernel-Power is assigned when a computer receives a STOP error (BSOD) or the user manually presses the power button, when the computer hangs.
Are you getting a BSOD?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

benro,

I realise you have tried a clean boot and in theory this should not be much different, but it would be nice to rule it out completely. Can you please boot in Safe Mode and see if you get this problem.

> To do this, whilst the machines boots (before the Windows Logo) press F8 repeatedly until you see a list of options, one of them should be Safe Mode.

Do you use multiple screens or just one?

When was the last time you update your graphics driver? Same goes for installing all the Windows updates? You may be able to update your graphics driver from 'optional' updates on Windows Update, or download from the manufacturers website.

This is probably not relevant if your system is a laptop... If you have a separate graphics card and on-board graphics, could you try plugging the monitor into the opposite one and see if that works. Also, try taking it out and putting it back in after you have clicked to switch/log off user.

If you need any help finding the right drivers for your system, please provide the make/model of your system.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Have you used any registry cleaners, optimizers in the past?
Norton Utilities 15
Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
an Event 41 Kernel-Power is assigned when a computer receives a STOP error (BSOD) or the user manually presses the power button, when the computer hangs.
Are you getting a BSOD?
Only when I 'Switch user' or 'Log off', and that would be the B(lack)SOD.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
benro,

I realise you have tried a clean boot and in theory this should not be much different, but it would be nice to rule it out completely. Can you please boot in Safe Mode and see if you get this problem.

> To do this, whilst the machines boots (before the Windows Logo) press F8 repeatedly until you see a list of options, one of them should be Safe Mode.

Do you use multiple screens or just one?

When was the last time you update your graphics driver? Same goes for installing all the Windows updates? You may be able to update your graphics driver from 'optional' updates on Windows Update, or download from the manufacturers website.

This is probably not relevant if your system is a laptop... If you have a separate graphics card and on-board graphics, could you try plugging the monitor into the opposite one and see if that works. Also, try taking it out and putting it back in after you have clicked to switch/log off user.

If you need any help finding the right drivers for your system, please provide the make/model of your system.
I'll try to answer 10-15 minutes from now...
Closed Thread