Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Swap Ctrl and Caps Lock via registry

This is a discussion on Swap Ctrl and Caps Lock via registry within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've found a web page that explains in an idiot-proof way how to swap these two keys. I just need

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Grin

I've found a web page that explains in an idiot-proof way how to swap these two keys.

I just need someone with more experience than I in registry editing to confirm that this method is safe, and will work.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

bump.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, well that was written for XP To save you any problems I have created a .reg file to do this, works on Vista Seven. Run the attached .zip file it will return a file change caps to ctrl.reg right click on this and select "Merge". Restart computer.

Ctrl.zip

Old 08-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Registered Member

No merge?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, just double click on it and agree to add to registry.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks a lot! It worked perfectly. Is there any way though to still have a caps lock key though? What I ideally want is to make left control caps act as caps lock instead.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support

No, the mapping is universal, the next generation of keyboards will most likely not have a caps lock it is considered superfluous.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

I disagree about the next generation of keyboards not having a caps lock. Although Linux people would be happy if it didn't. I use the caps lock a lot at times, not for shouting. Some comments I put in my programs I like to capitalize so they stand out.

I think it's amazing how many people dislike the caps lock. While researching keyboard registry entries I found a ton of threads about disabling or remapping the caps lock.
Closed Thread