Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Strange pop up from MSE appearing several times a day

This is a discussion on Strange pop up from MSE appearing several times a day within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. There's this pop up I'v been seeing everytime I minimize my internet browser(chrome) and I see this pop up on

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

There's this pop up I'v been seeing everytime I minimize my internet browser(chrome) and I see this pop up on my desktop and I don't know what to do about it..how can I make it go away? I tried clicking on send, and even don't send..and I'm still getting it the exact same one several times a day to the point where it becomes slightly annoying.
Can anyone help me out..what's this about and how can I get rid of this pop up for good?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0009.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	193521  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

A website you visited may have had something on it that was flagged as suspicious by MSE. You might try clearing your Chrome browser cache.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok, I'll try that and see if I still get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

nope, still getting it.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

You might wish to go over to the anti-malware section and post a query there. MSE isn't outright saying that you have malware but it doesn't catch everything either.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...lp-305963.html
Old 08-31-2014, 01:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

just delete MSE...it's a waste!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

MSE is a perfectly good AV - not the best, but on the other hand it doesn't have the drawbacks that most others do.

The box here is appearing because MSE has detected something questionable but unknown - and wants to send the data back to MS for further analysis.

Do you just dismiss the box, or do you actually send the data.

I think running an MBAM scan would be a good idea...

Please download and install Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free version) from https://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/ - UNtick 'Enable free trial of MBAM Premium' at the end of the installation - and update it, then run a full scan in your main account, and Quick scans in any other user accounts.

Delete everything it finds
Old 08-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

Yup that's exactly what I did, I have malwarebytes anti-malware and last night I scanned with everything I have, MSE, Spybot and malwarebytes there was a trojan virus detected but it was quarantined and deleted, so maybe that was it what was causing the pop up, but since then I'v been monitoring my computer and haven't seen the pop up again, thank goodness..but I'll keep checking.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Registered Member

I disagree with NoelDP, it's been shown that MSE is less than par for detecting infections. In 2006 MSE was the best, but times have changed and MSE hasn't caught up.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hmm..I'm not sure what I should use then, I don't know what's the best out there, I asked this forum once and people recommended MSE.
Right now the programs I have are MSE, Spybot and Malwarebytes anti malware.
If MSE isn't good enough for viruses etc..is there another program I can use? (for free)
:/
/ is Spybot still good to use?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

MSE is fine. With Spybot, disengage Tea Timer.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
Registered Member

CK007, MSE is Microsoft, so naturally a Microsoft Tech Team member would push it. Let's use a non-biased opinion: Goodbye Microsoft Security Essentials: Microsoft Now Recommends You Use a Third-Party Antivirus

I use avast! free av for clients that don't want to pay for it. AVG is also good. For my own systems, I use Webroot and Malwarebytes Premium.
I highly recommend Malwarebytes.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:29 AM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

FYI. TSF staff are not employees nor do we have any direct connection with MS except some have achieved MVP status. We're all volunteers.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
Registered Member

Thank you for the clarification.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

ok, gone is MSE, I just installed Avast, it's asking me if I want to try Internet Security for free..do I click on that or click on "stay with basic protection"?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

The 'Goodbye MSE' article is over a year old. Much has changed since then, but I'd still go with Avast over MSE, however much MSE has improved recently.

The "stay with basic protection" option is all you need for now.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 08-31-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thank you/ and yet somehow a trojan virus got through :/ not sure how that happened. I'll try Avast I have used it in the past most people say it's good, will try it again.

Other than that I also have spybot, malwarebytes anti-malware and winpatrol, all good I assume? is that everything I need?
Old 08-31-2014, 12:11 PM   #18
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Yes, you're pretty much covered with those programs. If you're using the free version of Malwarebytes, it's worth paying for the full version which gives real-time protection instead of just manual scans.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Closed Thread