Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Strange issues on new laptop

This is a discussion on Strange issues on new laptop within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I got a new Alienware M18x a day ago and have been getting some weird issues. The first is that

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

I got a new Alienware M18x a day ago and have been getting some weird issues. The first is that every time the computer restarts, the date and time will reset to different dates and times (ranging from 2010 to 2020). I have to synchronize it every restart.

Second is that certain icons in the notifications area will not appear (they did when i first got the computer) Things such as the AMD Catalyst control center and Sound blaster control panel won't appear. Image

I also often get a "Alienrespawn update launcher has stopped working" when I turn the computer on.

ALSO, these all started happening after I got a blue screen. The entire computer crashed from some display error when watching a youtube video. First day of owning the computer.

I had an M18x earlier that worked great but I returned it because of a few dead pixels. This one is not working like the other one. I'm considering returning it as well but I don't want to have to return a $3k laptop TWICE. I did a system restore to factory settings (and kept some of the new files I had downloaded such as games) and still have the same problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

It seems that a lot of users get the problem with Alienware.
See this post.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...am-651296.html

Be aware if someone call you that he can fix the problem for you.

I think you should contact the Alienware official to seek a solution.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

If you are having problems with a replacement then I would think it's time to invest your $3k in a different make/model to that of an Alienware M18x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

I agree with Tomken15.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliwa View Post
It seems that a lot of users get the problem with Alienware.
See this post.
https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f112/teamviewer-scam-651296.html

Be aware if someone call you that he can fix the problem for you.

I think you should contact the Alienware official to seek a solution.
Hm, possible but it seems more like just some sort of (hardware?) error. Nothing malicious trying to redirect me or anything just things that aren't working properly.

Though you're right, I should probably contact alienware support. Though Alienware will surely hate me if they have to make me a THIRD $3k laptop.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
If you are having problems with a replacement then I would think it's time to invest your $3k in a different make/model to that of an Alienware M18x.
Possibly, but the laptop really performs in gaming which is what I bought it for. It's just a couple of nuisances that are bothering me. Though this one is a greater nuisance than the last one.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

If they're using lower end hardware to maximise their profits and as this is your second display failure, then you aren't going to get much gaming out of it especially if all it takes to make it crash is a youtube video......?

I think you are being ripped off.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
If they're using lower end hardware to maximise their profits and as this is your second display failure, then you aren't going to get much gaming out of it especially if all it takes to make it crash is a youtube video......?

I think you are being ripped off.
The crash had to due with the display drivers, they may have not been updated or something. The GPU is the 7970m crossfire and dual gpus can be glitchy. I have an older alienware desktop that has worked near perfect for 3 years, at least until it got a severe virus but that's more my fault than anything.

The only lower end thing in alienware that I can think of is the motherboard, which may be the cause of the problem. If so, it shouldn't be too difficult to just get a new laptop (again) from Dell.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Gone | Not Forgotten

My System

A possible solution:-

Update your system including all drivers & see whether problem has gone or not

Mark Andrews
Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNAndrews View Post
A possible solution:-

Update your system including all drivers & see whether problem has gone or not

Mark Andrews
I think you were right. In the middle of playing a game, Windows started shutting down (without warning, strangely) and started installing updates. Upon restarting the computer, the problems are gone. Occasionally the problem doesn't occur when I restart anyway, so for good measure I tried restarting again to see if it would reappear, and it didn't!

Strange problem and strange solution, but I'm glad it's (hopefully) fixed.
Closed Thread