User Tag List

Startup Problem

This is a discussion on Startup Problem within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. More often than not, I keep getting this message when I turn on my Windows 7, IE 11, 32 bit

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By Tyrone Whittle
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

More often than not, I keep getting this message when I turn on my Windows 7, IE 11, 32 bit PC on: "Your computer was unable to start. Startup Repair is checking your system for problems." Then a Startup Repair does it's routine. When the PC doesn't start the routine does it all over again 2 or 3 more times before the PC finally gets started.
How can I, with your help, get this corrected without major surgery, if possible? (I hope). Thanks, HJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2019, 02:31 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Sounds like your HDD is beginning to fail. First, Backup all your personal User Files (ie) Documents, Music, Pictures etc to an external drive or the Cloud or both.
After safely backing up, go to Start/Search and type CMD, right click the results and Run As Administrator.
In the Elevated Command Prompt, type chkdsk /R and press Enter. Now type a Y for Yes and reboot the computer. Check Disk will start at next bootup and it will take a long time, possibly overnight. If it takes longer then that, hangs for several hours or fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.
You can also download the Trial version of HD Tune Pro in HD Tune, go to the Error Scan tab and Start a scan. Every Red block that comes up is a Bad Sector or block. If there are a few, Check Disk and HD scan will move the data off of the bad sector and mark it as Bad. If there are too many Red Blocks, then the drive needs to be replaced.
Sgayres likes this.
Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

All of this above, with the exception that you are probably in an extreme emergency. Do not delay. The longer you continue to use the computer, the less likely you will be to recover any data at all.

Depending on the value of the data, I'm tempted to contradict Spunk's advice and tell you to pull the HD from the system immediately and get it cloned or have data recovery operations run on it. It's possible the HD can be recovered, but again depending on the value of the data, trying to fix it might prevent data recovery, if it's not too late already.

Post specs of HD. Some are better in terms of quality than others. Make, model, size. Quality can affect how likely it is to be recoverable. Also post specs of PSU (Power Supply Unit) if it's a desktop. A bad PSU will kill a HD, among many other things.
Sgayres likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Sounds like your HDD is beginning to fail. First, Backup all your personal User Files (ie) Documents, Music, Pictures etc to an external drive or the Cloud or both.
We both agree that a backup of your files is the utmost importance now It doesn't matter if you pull the drive out of the system or backup your files while it's booted into Windows. But the more you boot the computer with that drive,or access the drive in general, the harder it will be to recover any files off of it.
The HDD should be replaced, but if you want to Diagnose your HDD, taking it out of the system and attaching it to a working computer as a secondary internal drive, or via a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure will make it easier. Then follow the instructions in my previous post. But the results are going to be the same, you're going to need to replace the HDD.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

The "pull your hard drive" idea came from two assumptions:

1) the User isn't qualified to do his own data recovery, and will need to hire someone else.
2) the PSU is bad, has started to kill the HD, and getting it off the system is better than allowing it to continue to adversely affect the HD.

The time the User spends on fussing around with figuring out how to do data recovery might mean the difference between getting some, most, all, or none of the data. Unless they say otherwise, I assume it's pics of important events or business data. The business data is the critical one. I was "on scene" when my data backup plan failed for a small business, and they lost tons of terribly important data, and it was all my fault. You don't ever come back from that.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:58 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Whittle View Post
Post specs of HD. Some are better in terms of quality than others. Make, model, size. Quality can affect how likely it is to be recoverable. Also post specs of PSU (Power Supply Unit) if it's a desktop. A bad PSU will kill a HD, among many other things.

2) the PSU is bad, has started to kill the HD, and getting it off the system is better than allowing it to continue to adversely affect the HD.
A lot of what you said is is the right direction, then you go off on conjecture, there is no way to affirm that the HDD or the PSU can be recovered or is bad based off the Model :S

And you claim the PSU is bad, that can't be ascertained, the reason we're flagging such posts is because, based on this claim if the OP goes out and buys another PSU, it's not going to help solve the issue and could open up a whole lot of other issues.

I really do appreciate your assistance, but you have to limit your suggestions based on the root cause and not base them on conjecture.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
A lot of what you said is is the right direction, then you go off on conjecture, there is no way to affirm that the HDD or the PSU can be recovered or is bad based off the Model :S

And you claim the PSU is bad, that can't be ascertained, the reason we're flagging such posts is because, based on this claim if the OP goes out and buys another PSU, it's not going to help solve the issue and could open up a whole lot of other issues.

I really do appreciate your assistance, but you have to limit your suggestions based on the root cause and not base them on conjecture.
If the User is dumb enough to purchase a PSU before posting the specs as requested, I don't think they can blame anyone else but themselves. Further, do I interpret your statement to mean that TSF assumes liability and responsibility for the suggestions made by non-TSF staff on this forum? Because if the answer is no, then what's the point here. Standard ToS of all forums of this nature include language that denies liability in order to join.

And no one expects to hold a volunteer on an internet forum responsible anyways. In another forum section a TSF Staff Member advised upgrading the firmware of a router as a 1st response to a problem that ultimately seems to have been caused by the AV (which I have doubts about), which could potentially have bricked the router. That's the standard TSF Staff sets, and Leadership is by Example. So if concern about "potential liability" is a concern, I suggest you look within yourselves.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:55 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

That's not how it works here, we can't have people ranting and rambling not making any sense and just going off on wild conjecture because they "thought" it was right because "they know everything".

While the T&C do apply, that doesn't mean we're going to let everyone just go off with less than half baked knowledge in railroading a user who is genuinely seeking our help...The forum has very high standards and we're volunteers helping people on our own time, and there are Mods watching all posts closely, this is not a ranting space or a place for you to post your opinions which have no value, not even the carbon footprint used to type them....

We expect every contributor to ensure information is accurate and is the right troubleshooting step to resolve an issue, not their opinion or rant, and I can give less than bat crap on what your opinion is about TSF standards or Leadership.

Consider yourself warned, you seem to be doing this on many threads, if you want to rant, there are places where you can take this conversation, in the Offline Topics not in the T/S threads..

Old 06-04-2019, 04:33 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I wholeheartedly agree with @tristar on this one. Tyrone Whittle, on multiple threads it seems you are more interested in raising rubble than helping folks out with their tech issues. We can't have that, so consider this a warning from me as well. In fact, it is the second warning you're receiving from me just days apart! You're new here, or at least your current alias is, and if you take a little time and go through the threads, you'll notice that we, the staff, differ on things all the time, but in a non-confrontational manner. No one here knows it all, and no one should expect that from any of the contributors, staff or otherwise. Now, it doesn't matter how much you know. How you share your thoughts, knowledge and experience matters more. If you have factual information that negates or corrects someone else's post, by all means present it here preferably with a link to its source. Anything else is your opinion that you can keep to yourself or post in an appropriate place. Notice the emphasis on "factual". Make no mistake, we won't tolerate inflammatory posts even in the Offline or Comments sections. None of TSF's sections is exempt from forum rules and etiquette. Feel free to start a blog elsewhere and rant about what we're doing wrong on TSF. We won't come at you with our rules there!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:00 AM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

This thread will now be closed since the OP has not been back to it, if the OP wishes it reopened a pm to a mod or manager will get that sorted.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Startup Problem ll
First I want to thank s.f and you others who acted in good faith to try to help me, and I"m still hoping for a simple solution if at all possible to come through.
Being one of the "dumb" ones referred to in my last original post, as I only use the PC on a very limited basis, I was waiting, after the questionable helpful comment posted problem , for a response that might be simpler that I would feel more comfortable doing as it seems to be very easy for me to mess things up as I have done in the past.
My PC knowledge is very limited and have been hoping something simple and not to complicated would come up.
As an example I don't even know how to back up files as someone or s.f suggested, or what OP, HDD, PSU, etc, mean and how to update my specs for you all to see.
Sorry for this being such a long explanation. Thanks again,(still hoping) HJ.
--------------------------------------------
Here is the Original Request:
More often than not, I keep getting this message when I turn on my Windows 7, IE 11, 32 bit PC on: "Your computer was unable to start. Startup Repair is checking your system for problems." Then a Startup Repair does it's routine. When the PC doesn't start the routine does it all over again 2 or 3 more times before the PC finally gets started.
How can I, with your help, get this corrected without major surgery, if possible? (I hope). Thanks, HJ.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Jon View Post
Startup Problem ll
First I want to thank s.f and you others who acted in good faith to try to help me, and I"m still hoping for a simple solution if at all possible to come through.
Being one of the "dumb" ones referred to in my last original post, as I only use the PC on a very limited basis, I was waiting, after the questionable helpful comment posted problem , for a response that might be simpler that I would feel more comfortable doing as it seems to be very easy for me to mess things up as I have done in the past.
My PC knowledge is very limited and have been hoping something simple and not to complicated would come up.
As an example I don't even know how to back up files as someone or s.f suggested, or what OP, HDD, PSU, etc, mean and how to update my specs for you all to see.
Sorry for this being such a long explanation. Thanks again,(still hoping) HJ.
Here is the Original Request:
OP refers to you, the thread starter or Original Poster. It also refers to the first post of a thread, that is the Original Post. HDD means Hard Disk Drive, that is the hard disk or hard drive on your computer. PSU means Power Supply Unit, the thingy at the back of your computer where you plug in the power cable. It is a removable or replaceable component and supplies power to the various parts of your computer, including the hdd.

I've merged the above-quoted thread with this one because you don't need a new thread to address the same issue. I've also reopened this (the original thread) so that you can make your replies here. Going silent while hoping for a "simpler" solution is not how a forum works. You are supposed to reply as soon as possible to the replies you receive once you've started a thread. If there's something you need clarification on, you ask. If you don't reply we get the impression that the issue you had is no longer a problem. As you can see, lack of response from you turned this thread into an exchange amongst other contributers, while you, the OP, was nowhere to be seen or heard, yet all replies should mainly be targeting you and the problem you have.

Sometimes the only solution is not a "simple" one. Also, simple is perceptive. What is simple to us may not be so for you. If you find it too challenging to follow the advice given here, you can get someone more knowledgeable or savvy to help. The other option is to take the computer to a computer repair or service shop and have it looked at.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #13
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Methods 2 and 4 here are simple https://www.lifewire.com/ways-to-bac...r-data-2640426 the disc method works but is not the best the others work if you have them.
Post 2 already advised backing up.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

[QUOTE=Stancestans;7739674]OP refers to you, the thread starter or Original Poster. It also refers to the first post of a thread, that is the Original Post. HDD means Hard Disk Drive, that is the hard disk or hard drive on your computer. PSU means Power Supply Unit, the thingy at the back of your computer where you plug in the power cable. It is a removable or replaceable component and supplies power to the various parts of your computer, including the hdd.

I've merged the above-quoted thread with this one because you don't need a new thread to address the same issue. I've also reopened this (the original thread) so that you can make your replies here. Going silent while hoping for a "simpler" solution is not how a forum works. You are supposed to reply as soon as possible to the replies you receive once you've started a thread. If there's something you need clarification on, you ask. If you don't reply we get the impression that the issue you had is no longer a problem. As you can see, lack of response from you turned this thread into an exchange amongst other contributers, while you, the OP, was nowhere to be seen or heard, yet all replies should mainly be targeting you and the problem you have.

Sometimes the only solution is not a "simple" one. Also, simple is perceptive. What is simple to us may not be so for you. If you find it too challenging to follow the advice given here, you can get someone more knowledgeable or savvy to help. The other option is to take the computer to a computer repair or service shop and have it looked at.[/QUOTE
Stancestans, Thanks for your helpful information. I have to go out of town for a few days and will be "going silent" for that time so I'll appreciate if you don't close my thread off again.
Inasmuch as Windows 7 service has only a few months left before service is terminated, as I understand it, I am considering whether to go ahead and get Windows 10 now instead, but am not even sure if that is a good decision to do at this time. Thanks again, HJ.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

[quote=H. Jon;7739830]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
OP refers to you, the thread starter or Original Poster. It also refers to the first post of a thread, that is the Original Post. HDD means Hard Disk Drive, that is the hard disk or hard drive on your computer. PSU means Power Supply Unit, the thingy at the back of your computer where you plug in the power cable. It is a removable or replaceable component and supplies power to the various parts of your computer, including the hdd.

Sometimes the only solution is not a "simple" one. Also, simple is perceptive. What is simple to us may not be so for you. If you find it too challenging to follow the advice given here, you can get someone more knowledgeable or savvy to help. The other option is to take the computer to a computer repair or service shop and have it looked at.[/QUOTE
Stancestans, Thanks for your helpful information. I have to go out of town for a few days and will be "going silent" for that time so I'll appreciate if you don't close my thread off again.
Inasmuch as Windows 7 service has only a few months left before service is terminated, as I understand it, I am considering whether to go ahead and get Windows 10 now instead, but am not even sure if that is a good decision to do at this time. Thanks again, HJ.
The switch to Windows 10 is inevitable if you care about cyber security and you want to continue using Windows on your computer(s).
Closed Thread