Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

Something affecting keyboard and mouse behaviour [moved from Security]

This is a discussion on Something affecting keyboard and mouse behaviour [moved from Security] within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, pls forgive the length of the report - but it may be useful... Yesterday my keyboard/mouse started misbehaving. The

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

Hi, pls forgive the length of the report - but it may be useful...

Yesterday my keyboard/mouse started misbehaving. The mouse would often, but not always, bring up the properties window if I double-clicked to open a folder. When I left-clicked to open a menu, the menu appeared but quickly disappeared, I don't have time to select anything! The keyboard at the same time started to alternate between working properly and messing about. E.g. only some keys work, and they sometimes, er, DO things rather than type letters (like make the IExlporer go to full screen). Also if I hit the "a" key, I'd often get an "Š" instead, and some keys gave nothing at all.

So, with great difficulty, I turned on the on-screen keyboard and saw that the keyboard flashes between normal mode and (I don't know what to call it, but..) "Alt mode"(?) where only a handful of keys are operational - including the Alt and, i think, Ctrl keys.

When my mouse is at rest, the keyboard tends to spend it's time in this odd mode. When the mouse is moving the keyboard goes to QWERTY mode.

So now my PC is practically unusable (I'm writing this on someone else's). I have to be constantly moving the mouse to type anything or to select menus.

I checked mouse & keyboard properties. Sticky keys isn't on - and I can't see anything untoward about any of the onscreen properties of the keyboard or mouse. I disconnected the keyboard and mouse and used different ones but the problem remains.

My PC has a separate Windows 7 operating system on another drive, but the problem exists there too.

Any ideas?

I'm using Windows 7 Professional. Iím assuming itís a virus Ė but feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if you donít agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #2

Ok, It's fixed. It was a faulty USB Wireless mouse (or its receiver). I had unplugged the keyboard and tried a new one (and mouse) but I forgot to unplug the wireless receiver for the mouse (which is also for a keyboard - but I don't use).

When I did unplug this evening, the alternative keyboard and mouse worked fine.
Closed Thread