Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] WU keeps "Successfully" installing the same 2 updates.

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] WU keeps "Successfully" installing the same 2 updates. within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. WU has "Successfully" installed these two updates about repeatedly since 14Feb2012 Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP,

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

WU has "Successfully" installed these two updates about repeatedly since 14Feb2012

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2656351)

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2600217)

Presumably not, or why would it keep on "Successfully?" downloading and installing them? It happens every 2 or 3 times I shut down the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Repeated prompts for updates usually occur when Windows doesn't recognize their install and MS has some Fixits for problematic updates or .NET Framework updates that you could try.

Windows Update or Microsoft Update repeatedly offers the same update

Download .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center

Installing updates for the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 can take longer than expected in some scenarios
Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Troubled

I had the same trouble. MS's "Fixit" didn't work.

I had to uninstall .net 4, then delete all \windows\softwaredistribution\ data, then reboot.

Then, start windows update .net 4 from the beginning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomken15 View Post
Repeated prompts for updates usually occur when Windows doesn't recognize their install and MS has some Fixits for problematic updates or .NET Framework updates that you could try.

Windows Update or Microsoft Update repeatedly offers the same update

Download .NET Framework Repair Tool from Official Microsoft Download Center

Installing updates for the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 can take longer than expected in some scenarios
The first two options I had already treid without success. FixIt didn't seem to work with the 3rd option, but at the bottom of the page was:

On a computer that is running a 64-bit Windows operating system

%windir%\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe update /force /queue

%windir%\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\ngen.exe update /force /queue

So I did that and allowed the updates to then install. I'll wait and see if they pop up again over the next couple of days then report back.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Troubled

You can visit Microsoft Updates manually and find out right away.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Janitor View Post
You can visit Microsoft Updates manually and find out right away.
As I said, it always said that they had installed successfully...
Old 04-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo-briggs View Post
As I said, it always said that they had installed successfully...
Right, and then you immediately reload the page at Windows Update and see if it tries to reinstall them again. There is no need to wait.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Janitor View Post
Right, and then you immediately reload the page at Windows Update and see if it tries to reinstall them again. There is no need to wait.
You seem to not be understanding what I said - It has been "Successfully" installing for 3 months. Checking installed updates shows that, every time, the installation was successful, then maybe 2 or 3 days later, there it is again wanting to be installed - If it doesn't re-appear over the next week or so, I may consider the problem solved.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Did you ever just use hide updates

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

Nope - They're back again...

Can I remove Net Framework from Programmes and reinstall it from somewhere?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Yes windows update and the download centre Download Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Standalone Installer) from Official Microsoft Download Centre that is 4 if you need them you can get others
Download .NET Framework 4.5 from Official Microsoft Download Centre
Download .NET Framework 3.5 from Official Microsoft Download Centre
are just a few

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #12
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, one of the improvements in windows 8 is the ability to repair this sort of problem, MS included the Dism cmd util in 7, supposed to revert pending actions, so far I have had little success with it, lets see if you are the lucky one (will do no harm).

Go to start search and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste:-

Code:
dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
(press enter)

Next at the cmd prompt type each line pressing enter after each:-

Code:
Net stop wuauserv
cd %systemroot%  
Ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Net start wuauserv
Restart computer, let us know how you get on.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Registered Member

Tried that, got this:

Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Registered Member

Right, I deleted the contents of \windows\softwaredistribution\DataStore after which Windows Update told me I had never downloaded any updates! I then uninstalled Net Framework 4 and Net Framework 4 Client Profile; I downloaded and installed both the Net Framework programs; we'll see how we go.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
Troubled

Sounds like my path. I reinstalled the whole .net 4 suite from scratch, manually, and the problem went away and didn't come back. I deleted the whole \softwaredistribution\ folder though, if that makes a difference.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #16
Registered Member

So far so good. I have opened WU a couple of times, it still wants to download Bing, even though I've hidden it a couple of times.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, you did not run the cmd as admin as per my post #12, that's why it didn't work. It is probably not needed now, you have manually renamed software distribution. If it comes back follow the instructions and do it again.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo-briggs View Post
So far so good. I have opened WU a couple of times, it still wants to download Bing, even though I've hidden it a couple of times.
I had the same problem. Windows Search, Windows Live and other garbage would not stay hidden.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, you did not run the cmd as admin as per my post #12, that's why it didn't work. It is probably not needed now, you have manually renamed software distribution. If it comes back follow the instructions and do it again.
I am Admin, so I was not offered that choice after I typed cmd.exe, what you see is what I got.

So far so good!
Old 04-16-2013, 02:13 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

You need to right click on cmd to select Run as administrator and it will show as Administrator in the top bar otherwise it's just run as Users, which is why you got the Access denied - but the cmd prompt would usually tell you that The requested operation requires elevation when attempting cmds as Users when elevation is required.
Closed Thread