Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] windows anytime upgrade on volume license windows home to pro???

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] windows anytime upgrade on volume license windows home to pro??? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all I have been wanting to upgrade my laptop from win7 home to pro for a while and now

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi all I have been wanting to upgrade my laptop from win7 home to pro for a while and now final going to get it done,
The product key which I am planning to use is from MSDN Academic Alliance Software Centre see link: AUT SCMS Microsoft Product Key Distribution Centre
Can I use Windows anytime upgrade with this key...I don't want it falling,
It's most likely a volume license and I know enterprise won't work with WAU and they are also volume licenses

Many Thanks

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
CEM
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CEM Send a message via Skype™ to CEM

Do you have serial number for WIN 7 Pro also did you download and burn to your cd as an ISO file. I mean is it ready for installation.?

I had XP and i download same website win7 pro and i am using 3 computer very fine.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

It's not a VLK but unless you used an MSDN key for your Win 7 Home, then you'll have to do a fresh install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

windows 7 home is from when i bought the laptop (so it would be retail edtion i guess) I have the DVD (burned it from uni server), can i boot it and choose upgrade option??

and yes i do have the key ready to go
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I found a solution to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional - faster than clean install slower than windows anytime upgrade...i think.
I have tested this on virutal box and it worked fine. it was like updating from vista to windows 7 though
the solution is not the "correct" way but it is legal
What you must need: if you don't ALL of these. STOP and get them first
---windows 7 starter or home installed
---windows 7 Professional DVD from MSDNAA (burned from server/download)
---A vaild MSDNAA product key.
---Time about avgerage:1 hour max 4 depending how ssssllllloooowww your computer is
---access to an administrator account
IMPORTANT:: There is no easy turning back once done. If you don't have a vaild, never been used product key you need to clean recover your computer somehow…(clean install to windows 7 home)
Step 1: Backup – recommended but not a must
backup anything and everything that is important.
step 2:
start Registry Editor (RegEdit).
go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
change the following (write down anything you change, what it was and what it is now)
EditionID to "Professional"
ProductName to "Windows 7 Professional"

Step 3: put in the windows 7 Professional DVD
run setup.exe from DVD
wait….
Choose the option upgrade…
Press agree and next and you will see it upgrading
Step 4
after all them restarts change your product key to activate it…if it fails then it has already been used or you incorrectly entered it.

Done. windows 7 Professional installed.
Closed Thread