Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Windows 7 wallpaper reverts after restart

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows 7 wallpaper reverts after restart within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. PC - ASUS K50 Notebook OS - Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (factory installed) Here is my issue; I just

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

PC - ASUS K50 Notebook
OS - Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (factory installed)

Here is my issue;

I just picked up this computer recently (the other day). I was in the process of setting it up the way I like it, as well as getting the latest patches, hotfixes and updates. I noticed when I restarted after an update that my wallpaper image and color settings had reverted to the standard Win7 settings. So, I changed it again and shut the computer down and re booted it. It was good. So I let it go. But it happened again, and again etc.

I disabled/uninstalled all the pre-installed programs that I will never use.
The trial TrendMicro antivirus is still installed.
I have made no modifications to the install, other than adding a few images for wallpaper use.

I am stumped. I have never had this issue before with XP, Vista or 7.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

UPDATE:

I thought I had the problem licked. I disabled all startup programs except for the TrendMicro AV. The computer started with my display settings twice. I just got home from my Grandmothers house and started her up and viola! There was the blue default Windows 7 background again. Not to mention my taskbar was reset to it's default color again as well.

My next step is to uninstall TrendMicro and install AVG. Let's see if that cures the problem. Is it possible that the current AV is causing the reverting of settings? I haven't used TrendMicro since Win98, so I am not familiar with the level of control the AV exerts on the OS settings.

Any input at all would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Did a little more digging and I found an enabled startup item.

"set wallpaper" It is a command line function and is located in
c:program data\set wallpaper.cmd
Registry
HKLM\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\microsoft\windows\current version\run

So, I am disabling it via msconfig temporarily and see if that resolves the issue. I also noticed it is in the 32bit section of the registry, and this is a factory install of an x64 OS, so... why????

Either way, I will keep you updated. Also, any input will still be greatly appreciated. Thanks again...

Edit: Was not successful. Fail. Try again. I am seriously about to acquire a OEM install disk and wipe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

since TrendMicro is just a trail, i would uninstall it (since you did not pay for it, you don't have to worry about losing money) and install Microsoft Security Essentials (free; also know as MSE for short)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by i MaRk i View Post
since TrendMicro is just a trail, i would uninstall it (since you did not pay for it, you don't have to worry about losing money) and install Microsoft Security Essentials (free; also know as MSE for short)
Been done... I will look into MSE... any ideas on the issue at hand????
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

well, for one Do you have any software that "enhances" your desktop experience? (take a look at the attached pic for an example

Also i do not have that registry key (i am running 7 though) Try this:
(in Regedit) Right-Click the "run" folder and select "export", save the file to your desktop or something...
then once that is done delete the registry key associated with the start-up item (you never gave the name)
if it does not fix your problem then double-click on the .reg file you exported earlier, because since it did not resolve anything you should put it back...

EDIT: these attachments are impossible, you can barely read what i wrote and it was huge in paint...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TSf.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	73405  
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Thanks for the input. I am in the process of uninstalling all of the bloatware preinstalled on the machine. It is taking a while because I am rebooting after every program uninstall to see if I can pinpoint the issue. I will keep everyone updated. Anybody else with some insight, please add your idea(s).
Old 06-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Update:

After uninstalling Asus SmartLogon and Asus Power4Gear the problem seems to have been licked. I have restarted the computer once and one cold start and my display settings have not been reset. I have my fingers crossed.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Well... Multiple restarts and uninstalls/installs and my desktop settings have remained intact. I appreciate the help I did get and I did install MSE... So far I am quite impressed by it's extremely small footprint and lack of resource usage. If it is effective, I have just found my new favorite freeware malware protection program!!!

I am sorry to say that I became impatient with the uninstalling so I cannot pinpoint the culprit for my issue. But I can say it was in the ASUS pre installed software. I have narrowed it down to one of the following programs.

AlmicoSinglun
Asus Splendid Video Enhancement Technology
Asus Power4Gear
Asus SmartLogon
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

I had the same problem, and narrowed it down - it was Power4Gear.
Closed Thread